imac 20 inch 2009 whole screen pinkish color corupted image?

Reaction score
I have a imac 20 inch core 2 duo I think mid 2009 and it has a corrupt image, it does boot up mac osx but the whole screen/image is like pinkish. I removed the motherboard and went ahead in heatgun the nvidia chip on the motherboard, this model doesn't have a separate video card, put it back together but made no difference same pink color image.

Anyone think it needs another motherboard theres seems to be alot on ebay must be common issue looks like. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyone think it needs another motherboard theres seems to be alot on ebay must be common issue looks like. Thanks

THere are also a lot of other iMac parts sold on eBay…that doesn't mean iMac's have common problems with all those parts. And FYI…many of the iMac logic boards you see on eBay are used. If these iMac's had a common problem with the logic board…why would folks be selling "good" used logic boards.;)

But the bottom line in regards to logic boards. Usually they cost too much (new or used) to make replacing them worth it.

- Nick

p.s. And yes…there is a good chance that the video issues you're experiencing are logic board based.

OP
P
Reaction score
THere are also a lot of other iMac parts sold on eBay…that doesn't mean iMac's have common problems with all those parts. And FYI…many of the iMac logic boards you see on eBay are used. If these iMac's had a common problem with the logic board…why would folks be selling "good" used logic boards.;)

But the bottom line in regards to logic boards. Usually they cost too much (new or used) to make replacing them worth it.

- Nick

p.s. And yes…there is a good chance that the video issues you're experiencing are logic board based.

Pretty much true in what you all said here. Depending on the model and or year built determines prices for parts, but I notice motherboards for these imac's can be bought for 60-80 bucks, so its worth fixing to resell or use personally. Of course like you said other parts are sold too, some people part out devices like tv's, computers, etc when other components go bad they sell the good working stuff.

I recently past 2 yrs or little less starting working on apple computers so I just wanted to see what someone thinks the issue is with this imac right way I ;m thinking logicboard and or gpu chip issue such as the solder underneath lost its connectivity to the circuit points/contacts. But was just seeing if the issue can be related to bad lcd to board ribbon cable or something stupid and simple. A picture of the issue might help its kind of hard to just explain the issue someone needs to see it. I'll post a picture here in a while. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.