DiskWarrior Question

Reaction score
Because I've been experiencing a great deal of slowdown, I ran DiskWarrior. The report said I had quite a few files (mostly preferences) that are damaged and cannot be repaired. When I tried to find the files to delete them from my HD I found that the path does not exist. Here is the path: Location: "Macintosh HD/Users/defaultuser/Library/Preferences/".

The is no folder named Library inside my defaultuser folder. Where are these files?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to the Forums.

It is confusing. There is the Library found at HD>Library which is not what you want.

It is more likely found at HD>Users>your name>Library, that is your home library.

The easiest way to get there is: On the top Menu Bar, Click on Go whilst holding down the alt key. In the drop down list, you will see Library. I think this is the one you want and from the list choose Preferences. (ie The path is HD>Users>your name>Library>Preferences).

Check for the files mentioned by Disk Warrior.

Hope that helps and that things work out for you. Do please post back with results for others as well as yourself.

Ian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The Library folder found inside the user accounts is hidden by default in the latest versions of OS X.

If you open Finder, click on 'Go' on the menu bar, then press & hold the option key and you will see the Library folder appear in the menu.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm going to voice my complaint again about Apple hiding the User Library folder. Stop being a Nanny already! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If the list of damaged files was in the DiskWarrior Report (usually in Red) when you ran it, that's basically for your info and you shouldn't need to do any find & delete with the Finder etc. as they will be trashed or replaced when DiskWarrior is told to Replace a new directory for you and your volume being fixed.

At least that's the way DiskWarrior has always worked for me. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to voice my complaint again about Apple hiding the User Library folder. Stop being a Nanny already! ;P

Please do, and again for me as well, and has anyone ever found a logical reason why they have done so, especially when the base System and Library folders are left out in the open and exposed to all attacks. More than stupid illogical logic IMHO!!!

M

MacInWin

Logical or not, I suspect the reason Apple hid the /Users/.../Library was that they got too many calls that went this way:

Apple: How can I help you?
Caller: My machine is all messed up. Your crappy operating system won't let me do what I need to do!!
Apple: What were you doing just before it went all bad?
Caller: Well, I found this folder in my home folder called Library. There was a lot of stuff in there that I didn't put there so I deleted it to save the room.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Apple: How can I help you?
Caller: My machine is all messed up. Your crappy operating system won't let me do what I need to do!!
Apple: What were you doing just before it went all bad?
Caller: Well, I found this folder in my home folder called Library. There was a lot of stuff in there that I didn't put there so I deleted it to save the room.

And then what was the next "Apple" reply (be humorous & creative):;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And then what was the next "Apple" reply (be humorous & creative):;)

- Nick

I'm sure several can and will supply a fitting comment, but I take my hat off to those helpful and honest techs, and who unfortunately lost their job, by explaining to the caller to package up the computer and take it back or just return it to where they bought it as they just aren't qualified enough to own and use one. ;D

That solved a lot of users problems. O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.