Ical - new event data disappears after couple seconds

Reaction score
When I create a new event in ical on my macbookpro for any calendar that I have (all are synced on icloud) the event time and details show for about 3 seconds then disappear. All that remains is "new event" at a default time not the times that I entered. The "new event" does not show on my synced iphone either as a blank event or with the specific details.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Thought I'd chime in since I have been experiencing a similar issue as well for about 2-3 weeks now. I have none of these issues when using my iPhone5S or my Gen 1 iPad Mini. My work around has been just doing all creations of new Calendar events from my i-devices for the time being. However...

On my MacBook Air (10.9.5) when I try to create a new event using either the "+" in the upper left, or by double clicking in the Calendar application there are issues. When creating a new event, I can enter whatever information in the Title, select any sub calendar like work , home, etc..., set the start/end times and date, and set alerts. However, when I hit "return" to save it, the new event loses all the text fields I have entered and reverts back to a 1 hour event titled "New Event" and also loses all configured, alerts, etc... When I double click on it and open it back up, I can re-enter all the information a second time and when I save it the second time there are no problems. On a rare occasion, when I use the "+" in the upper left to create an event, it will retain the color of the sub-calendar I selected and sometimes retain the title, but reverts to a 1 hour event with no alerts or any other information I might have added like notes, drive times, etc...

I checked Apple Discussions and there are several threads going on about this. Apple has suggested everything from reinstalling one's OS, upgrading to Yosemite, deleting plist files, etc... None of those have resolved the issue. Reinstalled OS's experience the issue, some Yosemite uses have the issue as well as Mavericks users, and rebuilt Calendars have the issue as well. Group consensus seems to be that it worked fine for years and years, and Apple must have changed something in the Cloud or on their backend somewhere. No one posting on the issue has mentioned doing anything preceding the issue which might have caused it like an upgrade or fussing with settings.

Reaction score
new event data disappears

I'm experiencing the exact same syndrome. I enter an event and after a few seconds the title disappears and "New Event" is left, although all the other info, like alarm time is kept. If I then add the event title again, it sticks this time.
It's amazing to me that Apple has been so slow to address this problem.;P

Reaction score
ical "new event" problem

Same problem here. Quite distressing since I am entering appointments for office work. If I watch and catch it, info takes that second time. Also not the same problem on my phone. :[

Reaction score
new Ical events disappearing

I have been having the same problem since a few weeks. Never had it before. Have been sharing Ical via iCloud for a while now. Need a solution because it is very annoying!!

Reaction score
I have had the same problem since May 2015. I'm using a Macbook running Mavericks. New events created on iphone 5S are fine. The workaround above of creating an event, letting it sink and then editing it seems to be the only way to avoid losing data. Quite a waste of time!

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Has anyone made some headway figuring out the problem/solution?

Reaction score
Same issue on Mac and PC

I type event into the macbook pro or macbook air and into ical on a PC and they disappear in about 3 seconds to be replaced by a "New Event" blank default event. This has been happening for a few weeks. I have made no changes in software or hardware. It does not happen on the iphone or ipad.

Reaction score
iCal-entered new event disappears after a few seconds

I've been having the same issue for several months. I create a timed event on my MacBook Pro (OS 10.9.5) and within 3-4 seconds, the event and all entered info is changed to a generic "new event" starting at 9:00 a.m. but with no other information. If I catch it and re-enter the info the second time, it seems to remain properly. However, this has caused me to miss several important appointments--a MAJOR problem--since I've added all kinds of specific calendar events and now I have a bunch of "new events" substituted in iCal and I don't even know what the event was supposed to be. (In case it makes a difference, I typically add my event info in "month" view.) Please, someone, find a solution or fix the problem! I've checked all preferences on my laptop iCal and on iCal in my browser. I don't see anything that will remedy the unacceptable problem. Apple must have changed something, somewhere within the last couple of months or so that's allowing this.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. It has been driving me crazy for maybe a year now. It's the uncertainty: Will the new event work this time or not? This is unworkable. Not to mention lost appointments, if you don't double-check.

I am thinking now, How can I abandon iCal? Is there another good calendar program with cloud capability out there?
Thanks

Reaction score
New Event disappearing

So, I have been having this happen for the last year and a half or so. Here's my solution, because Apple has none …

~~~ I type in a letter or 2, hit enter and let it go to new event again so I can start over with no issues. ( I was entering a complete entry, which takes awhile for a 2 finger typer like me, only to lose everything. Frustrating!)

~~~ or … I type everything without spaces. I know what it says, but it does look like a cluster$#^%. I have never had the event disappear when doing this … ever.

These are not solutions per se, but they keep me happy. Let me/us know if someone comes up with a real solution.
Thanx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Yeah, mine is still screwed up. Apple wanted me to upgrade my OS to 10.10. I explained that 10.10 users had the issue too. They admitted as much but said they thought "it can't make it any worse, and you get a free OS upgrade, so why not?" They are useless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So, I have been having this happen for the last year and a half or so. Here's my solution, because Apple has none …
~
~~~ or … I type everything without spaces. I know what it says, but it does look like a cluster$#^%. I have never had the event disappear when doing this … ever.

No "real" solution, but I wonder what would happen with this one if you then went into Edit mode and tried to add spaces. I can't try it, as I don't have the same version.

Reaction score
I got Fantastical 2 calendar program. This has the same look and feel as iCal, with some extra features, and it seems to work, so far!

Only thing is my MacBook has OS 10.9, and it needed 10.10. (The other computer is already on 10.10.) I am asking them if they have an old version to do that.
Cheers

Reaction score
New events in ical

I have the same problem trying to add new events in ical. This has been going on for some weeks now.
I also have a similar problem trying to re-title events in iPhoto when I have uploaded new photos.
It is very tedious and if you are not wise to it it's easy to miss.

Reaction score
Annoying fault

I have exactly the same problem. when will this get fixed Apple?:(

Reaction score
Agreed this is a new and frustrating issue. I've found a solution when I'm using Calendar on my MacBook Pro that involved FIRST selecting the specific calendar for the event before you create it (ie. open the application, click on the calendar on the left sidebar that you want to use, then create the event). If the correct calendar is selected when you create an event, the event will save. If, during creating the event, you change the calendar (say, from "Home" to "Work" calendar), then the even will disappear and become "New Event" and have to be re-entered. Another work around is to create the event without selecting the calendar. Save it. Then right click on it to choose the calendar. Extra steps, but it seems to work for me. Hope this is resolved in upcoming updates.

Reaction score
Workaround

Agreed this is a new and frustrating issue. I've found a solution when I'm using Calendar on my MacBook Pro that involved FIRST selecting the specific calendar for the event before you create it (ie. open the application, click on the calendar on the left sidebar that you want to use, then create the event). If the correct calendar is selected when you create an event, the event will save. If, during creating the event, you change the calendar (say, from "Home" to "Work" calendar), then the even will disappear and become "New Event" and have to be re-entered. Another work around is to create the event without selecting the calendar. Save it. Then right click on it to choose the calendar. Extra steps, but it seems to work for me. Hope this is resolved in upcoming updates.

Yes, I've tested it thoroughly today, (watching what happens logged in to iCloud through Safari as well) and it's definitely to do with selecting a different calendar within edit of the Event, on Mac Calendar. So, once, go into Calendar Prefs and set Default Calendar to "Selected Calendar"; Then click on the Calendar you want to create your event in, BEFORE you create the Event (eg by double-clicking in white space in Month view on the day you want to create it. It will then save all the info (Title, times etc) that you type in :)

A pain, but a safe workaround - until Apple fixes the iCloud sync/overwrite problem that causes this. Hope that helps :)

Reaction score
iPhoto edit workaround

I have the same problem trying to add new events in ical. This has been going on for some weeks now.
I also have a similar problem trying to re-title events in iPhoto when I have uploaded new photos.
It is very tedious and if you are not wise to it it's easy to miss.

Yep, the iPhoto thing is tiresome too. My workaround is to edit Event Titles ONLY in Events view - ie not Last Import view. Seems not to behave strangely then. So, Import your pix, split Events up there as required... then click on Events view and name them there. So much for "It just works" - sigh! ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.