HHD --> SSD + HDD with a clean install of the OS; how would you do it?

Reaction score
Hey there!

Hoping you guys can help me...

I currently have a Macbook Pro9,2 - Mid 2012 13” 2.5GHz i5 8GB RAM. The default hard drive is slowing down in life, plus I have been doing more video editing with the video files taking up more space, so I decided to invest in an SSD and a HDD, with the plan of removing the optimal drive bay, and installing both.

Currently: 500GB APPLE HDD HTS547550A9E384

Upgrade: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
1TB Hitachi HTS721010A9E630 Travelstar 7K1000

In addition, I have an external enclosure (The idea being I will put the original 500gb drive in it) and an external drive bay enclosure for the MBP superdrive. Also I have tools for disassembly etc.

Now I have found many many guides for installing straight from a hdd to an ssd but not so much for a split from hdd to a ssd and hdd. To make things even more complex I was hoping to do a clean install of the OS, choosing which files to take with me (I migrated the past TWO macs I had, so it is definitely time for a clean refresh I thought?).

It may sound stupid but I don’t know the best way to do this. If people could give me there thoughts/plan of attack I would greatly appreciate it. Also, how people would split the what goes to the ssd and what to the hdd!

You guys are awesome so I look forward to your response; I feel like I’m Apollo 13 and you guys are Ground Control creating me a CO2 filter out of my equipment!

Many thanks and let me know if I'm missing any info out and I will update. Thanks again guys! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have a lot going on... ;) What we usually recommend is to place the SSD in the SATA drive slot (in other words replacing your original 500 GB HDD) and the 1 TB HDD in the Optical Drive Bay. The only complication you'll run into is if you intend to install Windows using Boot Camp. If you do not intend to install Windows, there should be no glitches.

As far as what to put on which drive, the simple answer is put everything you need for speed on the SSD (programs) and other data on the HDD. Obviously video files take up more space and probably should go on the HDD.

If you intend to do a clean install of OS X (Yosemite, Mavericks, ?) make sure you have an adequate tested backup to restore your data from. I make and keep two backups: Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner on two separate external hard drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have a Mid 2012 13" MBP, and I took out the Optical Drive and put my SSD in that place, using a Data Doubler from OWC MAcSales. It was a seamless, and very easy install. I use this as my Boot Drive and kept the original 750GB in as a backup. I routinely drag files across to keep the SSD as empty as possible, so it doesn't bog down when getting close to the 20% Apple suggests to keep free, for any swap files, and OS Performance. I have a 2TB in a external Enclosure that I back up too.
I didn't replace the HHD, because the less I played with, the less issues I would have down the track, and thought, I won't always need 1TB of Data if I'm on the move.

This works very well for me, and makes for a 8second startup compared to 45+ . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.