Help!: "Finder can’t complete operation because some data in “BDMV” can’t be read...

Reaction score
I'm trying to backup a card I used to shoot AVCHD footage. I shot it a while ago so I don't have the original card. When i drag it in finder, it starts fine, then gets super slow, then eventually i get the message, "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “BDMV” can’t be read or written. The card though works fine when I try to import it into FCP 7, so I don't think the card is corrupted.

Any ideas?

M

MacInWin

I'm trying to backup a card I used to shoot AVCHD footage. I shot it a while ago so I don't have the original card.
I'm sorry, but to me those two sentences make no sense. As I read it, you are trying to backup a card you don't have?

When i drag it in finder, it starts fine, then gets super slow, then eventually i get the message, "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “BDMV” can’t be read or written. The card though works fine when I try to import it into FCP 7, so I don't think the card is corrupted.
So you seem to be trying to copy whatever is on the card (you do or don't have) to some other place and it's squawking because something is unreadable or unwritable. I'm still confused.

Please read the link in my sig and give us some more information so that we can understand what it it you are trying to do and how you are trying to do it.

OP
O
Reaction score
my bad. so, i backed up the card to two hard drives months ago. i accidentally deleted one backup copy. so im copying a folder that's on my hard drive. ive done this before: when i downloaded the card, i copied the entire folder to keep the structure.

any ideas?

M

MacInWin

OK, that's better! I think I understand now. The first thing I would do is open Disk Utility and repair permissions on the hard drive (assuming it's the boot hard drive). Then try another backup.

If that doesn't fix the issue, then about all I can suggest is that you select half of what's in BDMV (assuming that is the name of the folder holding the data) and try copying that. If it succeeds, you know the problem file is in the OTHER half of the folder. If it stalls with the error, try copying half of that half. The idea is to try to find the one file that isn't readable/writable. By halving the folder, finding which half has the problem, then halving that and so on, repeating until you get it down to the one bad file, you can then copy everything BUT that one bad one. It's a PITA, but it should work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.