IPhone 5 Screen Problems - can't answer calls or slide to unlock

Reaction score
I have a second hand iPhone 5, out of warranty. I've had it for about 6 months and it's always been fine.

I was having battery problems recently so I opened it up a few times and changed the battery (I had to do this a few times as the first battery that was sent to me was duff).

I noticed inside the phone that the metal clip which holds the screen ribbons in place was missing, so I purchased one, along with a set of screws, and put this in place too.

Since then (about a week ago) the screen has been intermittently not responding to my touch. It happens when the phone has been resting. If a call comes in, I can't answer it. Or if I try to slide to unlock, nothing happens.

I have to press the on/off button at the top several times to get it working. Then it works ok.

Not ideal though, as that means I cut off the caller!

I have tried removing the metal clip which I put inside (so it was back to how it was when working). I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the screen ribbons internally. I blew on the connectors to ensure there was no dust.

I tried restarting. I tried resetting. I tried updating to the latest version of iOS 8.3. I also tried wiping and reinstalling everything from my iCloud back-up. I tried turning off all notifications. And I tried deleting all the recently installed apps.

Do you think it is a software or hardware issue? Do I need to buy a new screen and digitiser? Or is there anything else I can try?

Reading other threads online, I can't find anyone else who has a similar issue. It's strange, as it does seem to work ok once it's got going. However, it takes a while to kick in after the phone has been at rest.

Thanks,

Donna

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you think it is a software or hardware issue? Do I need to buy a new screen and digitiser? Or is there anything else I can try?

You certainly did a good job of trouble shooting. I'm guessing that it's a hardware problem likely with the screen and or the digitizer. I just hate to have you spend more money on repairs for a used iPhone 5. Here in the US an iPhone 5 or 5C new can be purchased for around $300 to $400 depending on capacity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.