Windows not x-ing out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Has anyone had experience with browser "x" button and new tab buttons not responding when you click on them? This has been happening to me now for a few weeks; I'l' try & click on a windows red "x" button to close it and it just wont close. I'll then have to click around somewhere else on the screen and then click x again and it will usually close. This is definitely a software issue as I have reproduced the problem using a mouse click, trackpad click and trackpad touch.

is anyone the wiser?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have you repaired permissions lately ??

Open Disk Utility from the Applications>Utilities Folder and select the Macintosh HD from the left column.
Then click the First Aid Tab and then Repair Permissions at the bottom of the window.
Let DU do its thing and DONT worry about the Permission Errors, and when its done, close DU down, and restart your Mac and see if that helps.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Has anyone had experience with browser "x" button and new tab buttons not responding when you click on them?
Does this only happen with the browser (which one?) or does it happen elsewhere as well?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does this only happen with the browser (which one?) or does it happen elsewhere as well?

Hi Vansmith. This seems to happen on the browsers "X" button at top left of the window (Chrome) and on a couple of my other apps "X" buttons. It also happens on the browsers "add new tab" button.

Im going to try Tattood's suggestion and get back to you...

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you repaired permissions lately ??

Open Disk Utility from the Applications>Utilities Folder and select the Macintosh HD from the left column.
Then click the First Aid Tab and then Repair Permissions at the bottom of the window.
Let DU do its thing and DONT worry about the Permission Errors, and when its done, close DU down, and restart your Mac and see if that helps.

Hey Tattooedmac. I tried repairing permissions but the issue still seems to be there. Is there anything else I can test??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you simply hover over the buttons, do you see the button change from a red blob to the red blob with an X? If you click and hold, does the button react by getting darker? Also, are you running any 3rd party tools in the background? Done any updates lately? Also, take note of my signature.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you simply hover over the buttons, do you see the button change from a red blob to the red blob with an X? If you click and hold, does the button react by getting darker? Also, are you running any 3rd party tools in the background? Done any updates lately? Also, take note of my signature.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yes, the red x button acts as your described more of the time but this is a sporadic issue. Yes, I do have 1Password Mini running in the background most of the time and the Evernote icon also shows in the top menu bar of osx but im not sure it thats classed as running in the "background".
I seem to be having problems with various butting in Logic Pro X also. Do you think this is all connected.

MBP Late 2014 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Yosemite 10.10.3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.