Installing SSD on mid-2010 unibody Macbook

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased a Plextor 256gb Solid State Drive. I am running OS X Yosemite on my mid-2010 unibody Macbook. I backed up my HDD with Time Machine, used SuperDuper to clone my drive, and then installed my SSD. Initially, it worked great. I was able to boot successfully and use the computer like normal. However, after a couple days of using the computer, I went to restart the machine and it was unable to reboot. I then reinstalled OS X from scratch and then transferred over my files. This also worked for one day until when I started the machine and it took me to the default boot screen asking if I wanted to restore from a backup, re-install OS X, or use disk utility. I've gotten this to work in the short term twice now, but I don't want to keep doing it if it's going to fail the following day.

I've read about enabling TRIM support but am hesitant after reading about the potential downsides. Is there any way to get my 3rd party SSD to work in the long run with my machine running Yosemite? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Austin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The lack of TRIM wouldn't cause your problem just after a few days. Possibilities for the failure could be an SSD failed, rare but possible, and if a 13" MacBook Pro, you may have a hard drive cable failing. Reinstall your original hard drive and test with that.

OP
A
Reaction score
It's not a Macbook pro, it's just the unibody white Macbook. My old HDD drive worked fine (slow, albeit function) which makes me think the cable itself is okay?

This drive has faltered twice now and I've had to reload it, if it happens again I'll probably return it and try a new one. I'm just afraid that using the SSD with Yosemite is causing me issues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This drive has faltered twice now and I've had to reload it, if it happens again I'll probably return it and try a new one. I'm just afraid that using the SSD with Yosemite is causing me issues.

There are no issues using flash memory or an SSD with Yosemite. As Steve has advised, your SSD may be the problem. And since your old hard drive still works OK, the SATA cable is probably good. Return the SSD and buy a different brand. We recommend purchasing either from Crucial or OWC. A nice side effect of OWC branded SSDs is that they have TRIM built in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.