Macbook won't play my MP3's

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a macbook pro and I'm not able to play SOME my transfered files from my PC.

I can transfer them onto my mac, but the files will not play (I've tried to play them in VLC and Itunes). I've also made sure that these files worked properly on a windows PC.

I've also checked that these files were being transferred properly as I've confirmed they use space (on my macbook) once I transfer them over.

One interesting trend I noticed is that...
any files that were transferred from my Friend's PC > S3 > PC > external harddrive > Mac, these files do NOT work (although the files from Friend's PC > S3 > PC would work)

I click on a file and the length says 00:00 and says "file reading failed."

I've also tried using three different external hard drives and I am getting the same result...

This is driving me nuts!! Please help!

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 9.02.18 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Looks like the files were corrupted in the multiple transfers. I'd try to recopy, without all the intervening steps.

OP
J
Reaction score
I thought so too.

However, what I just experimented with was UPLOADING a couple of mp3's (that did not work) onto my dropbox and then DOWNLOADING them onto my mac....And these files miraculously work...

I play music on the side (DJ) and having mp3's is pretty important to me so really need a solution!!!

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uploading from?

OP
J
Reaction score
Uploaded from my PC...( files I got from my friends PC>S3> My PC>Dropbox>Mac) And these work....

this is kind of making me regret my macbook purchase....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's your external drive, actually.. more likely the cable it's connected with. it's NOT the Mac. Just copy from the PC to the Mac over your network, and skip all the Dropbox drama.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks what I' assuming too....?

So I went onto my harddrive....seems like another problem....

I'm guessing these files could be encrypted for some reason?

I've tried to install this CREDANT EMS Service and it says it doesn't support this OS (***).

anybody have any experience with getting this installed?

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 9.25.15 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, lets look at the whole issue.

Crendant EMS, is not a Mac application. It's a centrally managed encryption application, so you'd need to contact your administrator to find out if there's a Mac application you can use. If your drive is encrypted, and you can not pass the authentication key, you're not going to access the data.

Generally this includes filenames, as the TOC is also written in an encrypted manner. So, I'm going to hazard a guess that your files were not encrypted (although you should check on your PC).

Like I said, I'd skip the drive and just use the network. If you're copying to Dropbox and back, you obviously have that.

This is a little dated, but still pretty accurate Share Files from Mac OS X to Windows PC’s Easily | OSXDaily

OP
J
Reaction score
holy shizzles!!!

the whole PC > Mac sharing thing worked!!!

I would hug you in real life if I could!

Thanks heaps man!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.