PCI E to PCI Adapter

Reaction score
Hey, new to this forum but not to OSX.

I have a early 2006 Mac Pro with PCIE slots. I also have a M-Audio 192 Audiophile sound card I would like to use for music production. The sound card requires a PCI slot. Can I use an adapter from PCIE to PCI and use this audio card? Does APPLE/OSX support this? I know the audio card should work natively with Core Audio drivers....

I cannot afford to buy another audio interface at this time so I need to make this M-Audio work if possible. Also wondering if it will, which adapter should I use? Where can I order one?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

The PCI format was replaced by PCI-X which in turn was replaced by the PCI-E(expansion) so the card will not work. PCI was available in the Blue and Whiote G3, about 1997 or so from memory. Have a read of this from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT2838

OP
S
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

The PCI format was replaced by PCI-X which in turn was replaced by the PCI-E(expansion) so the card will not work. PCI was available in the very first G5, 2002 or so from memory.Have a read of this from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT2838

So those adapters must be a PC only? I'm surprised theres no backwards compatibility :/

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can try an adapter - but I wouldn't count on any of these working in a Mac Pro. Have to do some research to see if others have had any success.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So those adapters must be a PC only? I'm surprised theres no backwards compatibility :/

If you've been using Apple computers for a while…this shouldn't surprise you. Apple is usually about moving forward…not compatibility backward. And as harryb pointed out…you're looking for 2 levels of backward obsolescence…not just one. Making the situation more complicated.

This PCI audio card must be on the older side. Especially since it's not even compatible with a 2006 Mac Pro (which itself is 9 years old).

I did some internet searching…and this sort of adapter may exist. But it may only work in a Windows environment…not Mac OS X. So if you needed to use this audio card (within a Windows environment on your Mac Pro)…while using a PCIe to PCI adapter…it might work. But within the Mac OS X environment…compatibility is probably more doubtful.

I know that you mentioned not having the funds to purchase a newer audio interface. But since you're using a 9 year-old Mac Pro…have you checked eBay for a used PCIe audio interface? Something used & that old may not be too expensive.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just one more thought. If this PCI audio interface is not compatible with a 2006 Mac Pro (card is too old). And if it is an Apple/Macintosh compatible card…then it must have originally been designed to be used with an even older Powermac G4 or Powermac G5.

Since some Powermac G4's and all Powermac G5's were/are limited to running no Mac OS version newer than OS 10.5.8. Depending on what OS you're running on your 2006 Mac Pro…this audio interface card may not be compatible with the OS either.

So this audio interface card may not work with a 2006 Mac Pro for at least two reasons:

1. No PCI expansion slots.
2. Maybe not compatible with an OS newer than 10.5.8.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I helped a friend use a PCIe to PCI adapter in a Windows computer. It was for a video card. It works okay but you don't have top functionality.

I don't think using an adapter is the way to go especially for sound. I doubt it would work. An adapter is going to cost $25 - $35 and they are for PC's. Amazon carries them but if you read the descriptions they are all for Windows OS.

I think Nick's suggestion of heading on over to eBay is a good idea. See what might be available. I understand why you want to use the card - it is a sweet card but a bit old from what I am reading it is not compatible with intel processors.

M-Audio - Audiophile 192

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.