Items Mysteriously Appear In Trash Folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Good Day All!
I have a MacBook Pro Model 3,1 running OS X 10.6.8
Today is seems that something has gone haywire and the trash folder is gobbling up documents and folders willy-nilly.

I have on the computer two encrypted sparseimage folders. Each has many dozens of folders and hundreds of files inside. (I think, technically, a sparseimage is a single file)
I had one of the two mounted today and had been working on a document inside. I sent a version of something to the trash that was NOT part of the encrypted group. I decided to get it back out of the trash. Note that the trash folder was emptied this morning. Nothing was (allegedly) in it until I sent that document there.

When I opened the trash folder, I saw dozens of files and folders inside. Most, but not all, were from the encrypted sparseimage folder. Several were from sub-folders I have not opened in years and a few were from items I worked on today. All of the folders in the trash were empty. I have no idea where the formerly enclosed files went.

I asked politely to have them put back (right click menu). Some went back, some refused and some asked if I would like to replace the existing. More snooping around showed me that some of the trashed files were still in their original place, some were gone & a few had really old 'modified' dates (I've modified those after the dates shown).

I got out of the jam by restoring a backup of the entire sparseimage from a version that was made yesterday by CrashPaln (I chose yesterday to be safe). I re-did the new work I did since that version. For the files that were in the trash, but not in the sparseimage, I simply dragged them back into place if 'put back' didn't cooperate.

For my peace of mind, I ran Onyx SMART Status and had it verify Disk Integrity. Both came back OK.

Do any of you all have an idea of how I managed to send all of these random files and folders to the trash?

Thanks for your ideas! They are certainly appreciated.
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.