imac 27inch screens cracking

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a Media teacher in Australia and we purchased 20 27inch iMac screens in Feb. We have had three get what looks like fractures on the top edge of the screen, about 1 inch long. Just wondering if this is an issue with any other users? Also, would warranty cover these? We ensure that our students are extremely careful, but it is odd that all three have the fracture in the same place :( Budget controller is none impressed....eeek.
Thanks,
Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I haven't heard anything, however at less than 3 months old.. I'd call Apple, the warranty should cover it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Nothing impresses bean counters alas unless it is more in and nothing out. Did you purchase direct from Apple as a bulk lot? If so ring them a.s.a.p. and complain bitterly to have them replaced.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am a Media teacher in Australia and we purchased 20 27inch iMac screens in Feb. We have had three get what looks like fractures on the top edge of the screen, about 1 inch long. Just wondering if this is an issue with any other users?

I've never heard of any issues like this. I would be more likely to wonder what the students in your media classes are doing to the computers (or maybe it's just one student).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
We ensure that our students are extremely careful, but it is odd that all three have the fracture in the same place.
Thanks,
Lisa

Because you bought them in bulk, and if they were from the same run when they were made, this could well be a fault. Buying 20 27" iMacs, Apple would jump through hoops to make you happy, and being only 3 months old, as other have said, ring the Apple or the Distributor up, and someone would point you in the right direction.
Tell the Budget controller not to fret, you will have new iMacs in good time. You might lose them for up to a month though while the screens get replaced, so make preparations, just in case.
I would personally ask for 3 loans while 3 are getting fixed ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tend to agree with what Nick said above. However, it certainly won't hurt to let Apple decide one way or another. Usually in cases like this, Apple will not repair or replace the screens unless it was a proven factory defect - which seems unlikely.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These iMac's are desktop computers. Usually desktop computers are not moved (or really even touched by human hands)…except to:

- push the power button
- insert/removed cables
- insert/remove USB thumb drives

...from the iMac's ports.

Otherwise desktop computers don't get exposed to any sort of "hazards". Thus…one inch fractures in the display glass (if that's what we're taiking about)…seems next to impossible (especially on multiple units).

So either there is some sort of manufacturing/design defect. Or some sort of human factor is going on here that is not being mentioned…or is happening and ("ldimambro") is not aware of (possibly "naughty" students).;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I work in a busy service department, and as yet have never seen or heard of physical manufacturing defects in the LCD displays used in current iMac's, and the LCD's for these have now been manufactured for some time. After some customers have challenged us interpreting Apple's ruling on physical damage photos were taken and uploaded to Apple. In every instance Apple's decision was for us to offer only a chargeable repair. Most damage to the newer iMac displays I have seen has been caused by the sides or corners being hit as they are carried through doorways, and in some instances their owners picking up a coffee mug from around the side and clipping the glass edge. I haven't see any top damage yet.

By all means speak to Apple, but I suspect they will want to see the iMac's before making any decision.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most damage to the newer iMac displays I have seen has been caused by the sides or corners being hit as they are carried through doorways, and in some instances their owners picking up a coffee mug from around the side and clipping the glass edge. I haven't see any top damage yet.

This is exactly what I was thinking Steve. iMac's being moved...and the edges getting bumped against something...or someone striking the edges of the iMac with a hard object. Either would certainly be hazardous to both the aluminum housing & the glass.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.