everything seems to be crashing. need help!

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Im in dire need of assistance to my problem.
Originally i just wanted to create a partition thru Disk Utility but it keeps failing.
So i googled possible solutions how to bypass it.

I saw the fsck command so i used it.
After that everything went downhill.

Here are the symptoms i encounter
- cannot access os x recovery during booting
- finder crashes during startup and it persists even though i followed the killall command
- system preferences , disk utility , bootcamp, app store or any other app either crahes or does not launch
- these persist even during safe mode

The only things i can access so far
- single user mode. I was able to fix the hard drive thru fsck. Initially it says the disk had some problems so i decided to use it again until it says drive is OK. But even it says its ok mac still cannot fully function.
- terminal
- system profile

Take note : i dont have a mac os x dvd

Im so confused and stressed out since i just followed what was advised on the mac support pages.
and these things happen. Can anybody please help a poor guy this pinch?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Two suggestions:

1. Go to the Apple web site and order a Snow Leopard (10.6.X) install DVD. ($19.99)

2. After you receive the DVD, purchase a new hard drive, install it and then install Snow Leopard and go from there.

Even though you repaired the hard drive you now have by using single mode, I would not trust it. Time for a new one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds like things might have gotten pretty "mucked" up between trying to do the partition with Disk Utility...and messing around with Terminal.

And by the way. If your computer is running OS 10.6.8...the hard drive does not have a Recovery Partition. This started with OS 10.7.

I know that you said that you don't have a Mac OS X install disk...sounds like maybe now is the time to get one.;) And since you're running OS 10.6.8...here's what you need::)

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.