Macbook shutting down suddenly

Reaction score
Hi everyone, having a problem with my Macbook (10.6.8). Last night while watching you tube, it shut down completely. When I went to reboot, it shut down again in the middle of doing so. Finally came up and was working fine. Just shut down again a few minutes, again while watching a video. Could this be a Flash problem? Someone mentioned it could be an overheating issue, but I would assume I would hear a loud fan noise it it was, which I am not. It doesn't seem to happen at any other time except watching videos, so I have started to download anything I want to watch.

Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I just got done repairing a 2009 Macbook that had the same issues. It would just shut down - no warning. It would do it just sitting idle or running a program. There was no consistent connection that indicated a software issue. I would have to push the power button and wait for it to go through a cold boot.

So I finally broke down and opened it up removed the heat sink to replace the thermal grease. I also cleaned the fan out. That seems to have fixed it. I had it capturing a live performance tonight for about an hour and it went fine. I also left it on all night only letting it shut off the screen and that went well. So hopefully it's fixed. The grease was dried out so I am sure it needed replacing.

If you need instructions on how to go to ifixit.com and look for your model.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.