Trash taking too long to empty !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
I have about 800mb of data in my trash, i "empty secure trash" but it is taking too long to empty. i have a 1.6ghz powermac g5 with 1.2gigs of ram. when i say too long: i left it emptying trash for over 3 hours and it was still emptying the trash with small progress being made, any ideas ?? :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
secure empty trash will take a long time and tbh i never do a secure empty of trahs because it takes so long, not quite sure how the secure trash works but even if it 0's all the data it will take a while hence it saying 3 hours

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yea i secure emptied once, never again because it took way too long, and i dont know if i really find the point for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Whenever you "Empy Trash" the normal way, the items in trash are simply "de-linked" from your system. They are still on your harddrive, but there's no easy way to access them. The data will eventually be written over by new data, but if someone *really* wanted to get at that info, they could. "Secure Empty Trash", like inflexion said, actually writes binary 0's over the deleted info so that there would be no way for a malicious person to get at your info. It's a good feature for people doing some private work, but for most of us Mac users it's just not a big deal.

C

caveatipss

On my PC, I use Eraser, which overwrites with different types of 0s, 1s, or pseudorandom data as many times as you want. I once overwrote an entire external hard drive over 1,000 times, and it took 3 days! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
What was stated above is correct, If you are deleting important files I would recommend the secure delete. (files for like credit card numbers and bank statements) all other files I would just delete the regular way.

C

caveatipss

Remember, however, that some experts can recover data that has only been overwritten once. The US Dept. of Justice overwrites sensitive data 3 times, and super top secret data 7 times. An article by a data recovery expert named Gutmann argued that, unless you overwrite 35 times or more, data can still theoretically be recovered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Yea, I watched a show on the Science channel about that. They can never recover all of the info, but they use an algorithm to figure out what was inbetween the missing bits of info.

Crazy stuff. ;)

C

caveatipss

Yep. That is why, if I have something really sensitive, I overwrite it 16,525 times (Eraser's max), and just endure the time it takes. There is no way anyone could recover that lol.

E

Edwin2213

How do you do the "secure empty." Sorry if its a stupid question im new at all this.

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
Click on the Trash and click "Finder" on top, and one of the choices should say "Secure Empty Trash"

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
caveatipss said:
Remember, however, that some experts can recover data that has only been overwritten once. The US Dept. of Justice overwrites sensitive data 3 times, and super top secret data 7 times..

Both the DOJ and DOD follow this policy (it is a DOD guideline btw, U.S. Government DoD (5220.22M)). OSX does meet approved DOD standards for security in this area, because of the secure empty trash feature.

From HERE:

Mac OS X 10.3 and later actually provide the ability to securely delete files. Simply move the files in question to the Trash, and then choose Finder Secure Empty Trash. Not only will the files currently in the Trash be removed from your hard drive’s directory but the blocks on your drive on which those files resided will also be overwritten seven times with random ones and zeros in order to prevent them from being recovered. (According to Apple’s Mac OS X Product Manager, “This method follows the U.S. Department of Defense standard for the sanitization of magnetic media in ‘DoD 5220- 22-M: National Security Program Operating Manual.’” In other words, it should be good enough for you and me.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.