Macbook air Powers on but wont charge

Reaction score
I have a macbook air a1466 2011 model that received water damage, after cleaning all components and putting back together, it works, powers on and doesnt charge, the indicator light on the power cord does not come on, the unit stays powered on but will not charge the battery. I took the side board with the charging port out of another mac air both are a1466 but one is 2014 model, that did not fix the issue, now neither of the macbook airs will charge but both power up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
There is no 1466 2011 MB AIr - the model number for the 13" is 1369 and the 11" is 1370.. There is a 13" 2014 Macbook Air with a model number of 1466. As to if the charging ports (I/O board) are interchangeable, I am not sure but since neither are charging now that might mean switching damaged the one that use to work. There is also a cable that could have been damaged in the removal process - hard to say.

You indicate water damage to the 2011. No matter how well you cleaned it, it takes a split second for water to do major damage to electronics. I am assuming you decided to try to switch to see if that was the issue. With the water damage you have no way of knowing what was damaged or how that would affect the 2011 mac - although I am thinking the charging port (I/O board) may have taken the hit.

If you have an apple care on the 2014 you might look into make an appointment at the genius bar. The cable for the I/O board is around $15 and I believe the I/O board itself is around $90 - but I am not positive about that. As for the 2011 you might get lucky and replace the cable and that will fix it but with water damage other issues may crop up down the road.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.