Mid 2014 MacBook Pro - Trouble Waking form Hibrinate

Reaction score
I bought a "new" MacBook Pro and it is having trouble in hibernation sometimes.

It has done this only twice, the most recent yesterday. Sometimes when I leave it in hibernation for 4+ hours it will get stuck. The LCD backlight will be stuck on - but the screen will be blank - no desktop, just dark gray/black.

When the power button is held - the backlight will shutoff, but it will not shut down. When pressing the power button again - the LED backlight will come back on, like it's trying to "wake" but will not do so. Also - when the backlight is on and i hold the power button, before the LED shuts off - I can hear a little fan "whirl" down. I'm guessing this is on the power supply unit - sounds like an old HDD shutting down - but this has an SSD.

The only way to bring it back to life is to reset the SMC. I've also tried reseting the NVRAM after resetting the SMC.

However - this problem still persists. It has done this twice in two months. I only have 170 days on my warranty - and no phone support. It does this VERY inconsistently - so if brought in to an Apple Store - chances of it doing this are not good (so I can show them what is happening).

Any ideas of a fix?

I've updated OS X Yosemite and even done a full reinstall... I'm just afraid that something will go "**** up" right when my warranty expires if not resolved.

Anyone got some ideas of what the problem could be? :-(

TIA for any suggestions!! :Cool:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a "new" MacBook Pro and it is having trouble in hibernation sometimes.

What exactly does this mean?:

- DID you purchase this computer new from Apple?
- Or was this computer purchased used...and it's "new to you"?

My main queston's are:

- Does this computer still have Applecare remining on it?
- Was liquid ever spilled on it?

* Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
This is a long story.

I'm really interested in resolving the technical issues. Not warranty issues at this point.

But: YES. under warranty - 170 days as the post stated.

I guess I'm looking for some technical insight:

ie... resetting the NVRAM does this..... resetting the SMC does this... so your problem could be this.........

I'm not really looking for warranty conjecture. But thanks for the concern. :)

EDIT: from my I.T. experience "spilling liquid" will not cause issues by can resloved by resetting an EPROM. If liquid has ruined an EPROM or shorted something the component will fail and not just fail 5% of the time. Not trying to be an dork. I know it came off like that, sorry.

Maybe I guess I might need to just take some time and more familiarize myself with SMC resets and what they technically do

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have 170 days left on the initial warranty (which I assume is one year since you no longer have phone support) my advice would be to purchase the extended Apple Care while you can. The problems you stated that the machine is having could very well be a problem with the logic board. Of course if Apple does the repair for you under the current warranty that would be best.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But: YES. under warranty - 170 days as the post stated.

Sorry…I missed that in your first post.

EDIT: from my I.T. experience "spilling liquid" will not cause issues by can resloved by resetting an EPROM. If liquid has ruined an EPROM or shorted something the component will fail and not just fail 5% of the time. Not trying to be an dork. I know it came off like that, sorry.

I was asking about a possible liquid spill…since this does happen pretty often with folks posting strange/unusual problems with laptops…and many times folks don't want to admit to it.

As far as what you mentioned about your experience & liquid spills. In my experience…just about ANYTHING can happen as a result of a liquid spill. From the most minor of problems….to the most major.

If liquid was not spilled on this computer…no problem.:) Was just asking before we get deep into a discussion on what to do/try. Because when a liquid spill is involved…it's usually a lost cause trying to get a "wet" laptop working 100% again.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.