iPhoto for Yosemite upgrage from Snow Leopard

bsb

Reaction score
I have an iMac 24" 2008 upgrade to 6mb RAM (max) & 2tb HD (Seagate Barracuda).
as part of upgrade moved from OS 10.4.n to 10.6.8 (Snow leopard), good performance gain.

However, I wished to make a video for which 10.6.8 provided iMovie 8 - results so poor as to not justify the disc space. After finding no way to download iMovie 9 the only option seemed to be to load Yosemite and optain iMovie 10.0.1. Good result for iMovie; lost all my performance gain with Yosemite that now consumes vast amounts of power and will require a cooling fan upgrade very soon (and some ear muffs !).

However, on trying to open iPhoto I received the message that my version - 7.1.5 cannot be opened in Yosemite and to download latest version from Apple Store.

Apple Store France stated that latest version is not available !!!! Found workaround by downloading from Apple store USA version 9.3.7, however this is only an upgrade to 9.1.

End result - no iPhoto. Nor can I find Photo that is supposed to be included with Yosemite.

Only current solution is to revert to my PC for all photo storage and editing.
any suggestions ?

M

MacInWin

iPhoto is not included with Yosemite. It was replaced with Photos, which should be both on the Dock and in your Applications folder. However, iPhoto should also be available at the App Store, under the "Purchased" tab. If you find it there, you should be able to reinstall it, which will result in the latest version being installed.

I'm not sure why the Apple Store France says that iPhoto is not available, but I would try calling them again to get a different tech support person and ask how to get iPhotos updated under Yosemite.

On the consumption of power with Yosemite, it takes a while for Spotlight to reindex the drive(s) in your system, causing the CPU to run warm, and in turn causing the fans to run. Eventually the indexing is done and the system calms down.

OP
B

bsb

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I am just in the process of downloading OS 10.10.3 in which I expect to find "Photo" (it was not in 10.10.2).
As my main need for iPhoto was to help my wife whose iMac of similar age is still running under OS 10.6.8 it may well be that iPhoto 9 has too many changes to be of assistance, still, I will try to obtain a copy.

On the heating, the fan runs almost continuously until I put the beast to 'Sleep'. I anticipate that this will shorten the life of the hard drive but imagine that there is very little that I can do about that.

M

MacInWin

For the fans, take a look at Activity Monitor and see what's driving the CPU the most. As the CPU works harder, it heats up and the fans kick in. Same for the disk drive, so you can look to see what's going on there, too. Spotlight indexing after installation of an update drives both of those, so it's the prime offender for a while as the drive is reindexed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.