Switching to IPhone 6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K,27”, 3.6 Ghz 10 Core, intel core i9
Hello,
When the original iPhone came out, it was tethered to AT&T for a very long time. Since I have Sprint, it was not available to me and I didn't have AT&T coverage where I live. So I have stayed with the Samsung Galaxy family and have been mostly happy with them.
On that note, it is time for me to get a new phone and I was thinking about making the switch to the iPhone 6. Does anyone have any advice for making the switch from Android to IOS? My phone is the only Android device I have.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends a lot on the coverage for your area. If you're happy with Sprint, stick with them as they do have some pretty good deals on the iPhone. As for switching to the iPhone 6, that's a personal choice. My wife and I have iPhones (5C) and we're very satisfied with them and our service carrier here in the Dallas - Fort Worth area. (T-Mobile) We will likely upgrade the phones to the next iPhone from Apple. I would suggest going to your local Sprint store and inquire about switching to an iPhone 6 and maybe actually try one out before making up your mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I went from a Samsung Note 2 to an iPhone 6 +. I am also on Sprint - mainly do to service in my rural area and the fact they bought out my previous carrier (Nextel).

I loved my Note and thought I would have to "suffer" the transfer to an iPhone. I use google to store my contacts and calendar. I learned the hard way to pick someone not connected to my carrier when I had a blackberry.

I can say I had zero trouble making the change. The iPhone synced with Google and all my contacts, calendar, and google storage stuff was available. My iPhone 6 + gives me better call quality. I have better reception and it keeps a stronger signal strength. I actually was surprised that I liked the iPhone better than the Note.

One thing that is a big plus is the way your iPhone will work with your Mac. I like that messages will appear in the corner of my screen especially if I have my iPhone on silent.

I went to an apple store to look and handle the actual phones. I decided on the plus because I was use to the size because of the note. I suggest you try finding a store that has both sizes that you can get your hands on them.

Lisa

OP
SeaDragon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do like Sprint and have been with them for a long lime so I will be staying put. If I make the switch it will be to the 6 or like Lisa has the 6+. Newer, bigger, better, faster is my motto. Drives my husband nuts.

Lisa, why the 6+ and not the 6? I can't tell what the difference is. Unfortunately a trip to my "local" Sprint store is easier said than done but you are both right about the need to do so. I haven't done a thorough search but I am pretty sure I would have to go down into San Antonio.

I realize that the App Store and the Google Play Store have the same items because I have already duplicated some of them but what about music and such you had on your Note? Were you able to sync those?

Monya

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Why the 6+ - I wanted the larger screen because I can request full size webpages and actually see them.
I almost went for the 6 but, as I said, I liked the larger screen and I was use to a larger phone.

Just about any store that sells the newest phones should have ones on display. If there is anyway you can hold one it will give you your answer.

Lisa

OP
SeaDragon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent point.

I am pretty sure that I can find something nearby so that I can just hold it and get the feel for it.

Thanks

Monya

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My wife and I moved both of our phones to the 6+ recently. She moved from an iPhone 3GS and I moved from an iPhone 4. I second the notion of playing with one a bit if you can before use. My wife didn't expect to like the extra screen size of the 6+ since she has small hands but even with that extra screen size works well for her since she often uses it as an e -book reader.

My only complaint with the 6+ is that it is a bit top heavy compared to my old phone. If I carry to in the pocket of a polo short it sometimes falls out if I lean over to pick something up.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Personally my wife and I just bought an iPhone 5s each. I got the smaller version and she got the larger. We went for the 5s because it is compatible with Yosemite features and apps and I got the smaller because I like to carry it in my pocket. The 5 is still cheaper than the 6 in Australia so that was a motivator as well. My last iPhone 4 lasted me for 5 years so I expect my next phone to be iPhone 8.
The real key here is the processors. The iPhone 4 was not caperble of running iOS 8 whereas the iPhone 4s was (albeit not too well). Different processors.
"Apple's iPhone 6 improves upon the processor and performance of the iPhone 5S. The 5S sports a 64-bit A7 chip, but an A8 chip is found in the iPhone 6. The iPhone 5s is already so powerful that a boost won't be obvious to the general iPhone user".
There are also some network based advantages like a new feature in the iPhone 6 called VoLTE (voice over LTE), which should help you make better quality calls, but you'll only get that feature on EE in the UK.
Other new connectivity features in the iPhone 6 that aren't present in the iPhone 5s include 802.11ac WiFi and NFC, which will work together with the Touch ID fingerprint sensor to help Apple introduce a new Apple Pay mobile payments system that's coming to Europe next year. see this article; iPhone 6 vs iPhone 5s: benchmark test shows mild A8 GPU gains over A7 | BGR
So as I am living in Indonesia using a prepaid SIM on a somewhat shaky system most of the advantages of the 6 are lost on me. Also I managed to get hold of the 64 Gb model which was removed from the retail market after the introduction of the 6. This gives me stacks of space for the many photos I take. So apart from the platform jump there are a few other things which might sway your decision. see this page; iPhone 6 vs iPhone 5s: benchmark test shows mild A8 GPU gains over A7 | BGR
"Other new connectivity features in the iPhone 6 that aren't present in the iPhone 5s include 802.11ac WiFi and NFC, which will work together with the Touch ID fingerprint sensor to help Apple introduce a new Apple Pay mobile payments system that's coming to Europe next year". None of which interests me. So long as I can support the next couple of iOS versions the 5s is good value for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.