Macbook Air Late 2008 - audio off/on

Reaction score
Hi, I have problem with audio in my mac. I dont know why, but my mac is automatically turning off and on the sound. When anything plays, mac decide to turn sound off and if I play something with sound (youtube video or movie, music ...) the sound turn on. I usually use mac with ext. speakers and its doing not comfortable sound when it turns off and on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
What version of OS X are you running? If you just use the speakers on the MB Air does the audio volume issue still occur?

Lisa

OP
D
Reaction score
What version of OS X are you running? If you just use the speakers on the MB Air does the audio volume issue still occur?

Lisa

Version 10.10.2
Yes, its doing the same issue but without the annoying sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Try resetting the SMC. To do that shut down the computer. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. Press the power button to turn on the computer. The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

I had an issue with low sound on my mac pro and a reset did the trick.

Also try a PRAM reset by restarting your Mac while holding down Command, Option, P, and R. Keep holding them down until the computer starts and chimes. Keep them held down until it chimes again, then release the keys.

If all that fails, it could be the sensor inside the headphone jack is dirty or messed up. The sensor is a switch responsible for switching between something plugged into the headphone jack and the internal speakers. It can be cleaned using an electronic foam swab and rubbing alcohol or try a tooth pick and compressed air. Hopefully the switch is not dying.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.