MacBook Pro 9,1 15-inch - unexpected shutdown

Reaction score
I own a MacBook Pro mid-2012 15-inch.
CPU: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8GB 1600 MHz RAM DDR3
GPU: Intel HD 4000 1024 MB
Storage: 750GB @ 7200rpm

This past weekend, it had started shutting down without warning, going straight to a black screen.I have tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM, and then ran a disk verification/repair to make sure. There was a period of time where I would only hear part of the startup tone which would be cut-off midway by the computer shutting down again. I had redone what I did the first time, and it seems to be back to normal, but don't know if that will last.

I run Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X pretty frequently, and as a result deal with lots of audio and video data and software that requires lots of external connections (a second monitor, headphones, midi keyboard, 1 Time Machine backup, and 2 external drives).

What might be the cause of such problems? I've read about the logic board, overheating, or battery problems, but am unsure how to go about checking things like that.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.