How to speed up Adobe software by cleaning file system using alternate scratch disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 MacBook Pro (15", late 11) Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory: 4 GB 1333
I recently completed 4 years of being in the photo school at LSU. *pats self on back*

Through my time there I used Adobe products, mainly Photoshop CS5.1, Lightroom, and Illustrator CS5.1. Flustered by the spinning loading icon, endless lag, and long wait times (dealing with mostly gigantic camera .RAW files), I decided to dive into my system and try to make some improvements.

Here's an overview of what I did to help my computer in 2 parts:

Part 1 - Free up some space.
Open the  Apple menu / About This Mac / Storage. Take note of built in HD and available space.
- In my situation, the "other" category max'd out the availability, but I didn't know what this was.
Download and run the trusted and recommended freeware, Disk Inventory X (DiX), available at derlien.com. The application runs via disk image, so don't bother installing to /Applications.
Once open, select your Mac's HD and dbl click or highlight it and select Open Volume. You can scan individual Folders, but a full scan, followed by searching for specific folders, renders that option pretty useless IMO. DiX will take a few moments to load your folder contents.
Once fully loaded, DiX presents all of your file systems content neatly arranged into colorful blocks, organized by file size. You can click on each block to learn about size and location, or search for a specific folder here.
- I found out that my email (5 different accounts; thousands of useless messages) was being saved to my HD over a period of about 3 years, into a file buried deep in my Library Folder, and this was the reason for my lost space (some odd 30 or 40 gigs). I fixed this in the Mail preferences, and deleted the old mail.
Mail Preferences / Accounts / Advanced / uncheck the box "Automatically download all Attatchments"
http://www.howtogeek.com/209517/how-to-stop-your-macs-mail-app-from-wasting-giga bytes-of-space/
Use DiX to get rid of any unnecessary baggage.
+ It's a good idea to restart your comp often, especially after making substantial changes.

Part 2 - (Adobe specific)

When your Adobe software such as Photoshop or Illustrator completes a function, it creates a temporary file that deletes itself once complete. The place that your Mac allows this to happen is referred to as the scratch disk. By default, your built in HD is your scratch disk. In many cases, the HD is already more than 50% full, which is why it takes the program so long when you simply try to drag a single object or select a layer or something simple. Re-routing your scratch disk and assigning it to perform on an external HD will ease the burden on your built in HD and greatly improve your performance speeds.

I bought a terabyte HD (My Passport *Ultra) for about $100 and it does the trick. The more empty available space you keep on this HD, the better for this purpose.

Follow these steps:
(Photoshop) Preferences / Performance / Scratch Disks / uncheck "_ur_built-in_HD" and check the external drive
(Illustrator) Preferences / Performance / Plug-ins & Scratch Disks / adjust your primary to the external and secondary to the built in.

Hopefully this tip can help your software as it did mine, reply with any tips, corrections, or questions.

-kjon signing out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Glad you figured all that out. I use a 500GB SSD as my main boot disk with programs. My scratch disk is a second 500GB SSD. I have a 1TB Hard drive internal for data and a 2TB external HD for data. I do a ton of video work using Premiere Pro CS6, After Effects CS6 and Photoshop CS6. Some Illustrator CS6 work - but I have a team mate in the office who does most of the Illustrator work.

What I learned - spread out as much as possible!

You don't say what mac you are using. I started on a macbook pro, i7, 16GB, 1TB HD and moved up to a Mac Pro, Dual 6-core Xeons, 32GB, with the above SSD's and Hard drives for storage etc. Definitely got a big jump in speed over the MB Pro.

Interesting they trained you on 5.1 with CS6 and CC out now. Some cool features in Photoshop came in with CS6.

Thanks for the Mail tip - did not realize how much space that used.

Congratulations and good luck with your career!

Lisa

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 MacBook Pro (15", late 11) Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory: 4 GB 1333
Thanks for the additional info, Lisa!

My specs:
OS X Yosemite 10.10.3
MacBook Pro (15", late 11)
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk: Macintosh HD
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Part of being a poor college student is having a very basic laptop. I got CS5.1 when it was fresh, and never upgraded to 6.

I plan to upgrade my RAM (ordering now) to 2 "CMS 16GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module - 204-pin"
I'm a bit nervous because I've never upgraded a part in my computer, as I'm a bit of a tech newbie. I plan to acquire a more substantial computer as soon as I can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be careful with memory on a mac. They are very picky. Most here use crucial or owc for memory. Here is an example I found at crucial just for comparison.

16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-10600 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.35V 1024Meg x 64 upgrades for MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) Laptop/Notebook, CT3373693 from Crucial.com

I was fortunate to take a class at a university that supplied the whole CS6 Creative Suite free. I also currently have a free year of the CC programs but when it is up that will be it. I just don't see paying $50/month as justifiable. I am sure we will be pushed to accept it but until that time I am clinging to the CS6 suite.

CS 5.1 is a good version too

Lisa

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I was thorough enough when searching for my RAM, I used this site to locate my Mac specifics and upgrade compatibility. They also have a link to trusted memory modules for each specific Mac model:

MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.4 15" Late 2011 Specs (Late 2011 15", MD322LL/A, MacBookPro8,2, A1286, 2563*) @ EveryMac.com

And this one to provide specific instructions when I receive it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1270

I ended up purchasing this one after some serious cross-examination:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291398761882?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hopefully everything will work out :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pity you did not wait and buy from Lisa's link as it was $70 cheaper. Most expeirienced users only recommend OWC or Crucial to purchase low density modules as Macs are fussy beasts and eBay is not the greatest plce for memory.

Good luck with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope it works out well too. If not they have a 30 day return policy so work those little guys hard to make sure they are compatible. I have used Kingston in Windows computers and they worked well. Not sure how their mac memory works.

This forum is an excellent place to find suggestions for upgrades and issues with your mac. I have been able to avert a few potential disasters by reading and posting here.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some of the best deals on Mac memory can be found on Amazon. Amazon sells Crucial memory about 15% less expensive than buying it direct from Crucial. OWC memory of course is also top of the line albeit more expensive, however.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose I'll install the Kingston and report on them here, if they are bunk I'll try another suggestion. Thanks for the help cause I'm really winging it here as far as experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just post your questions. We have some really great people here who have lots of knowledge.

Lisa

Reaction score
i always use a external with photo editing and web design it works better keeps the o.s snappier and doesn't clog down the system

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.