Problems importing images into Logocreator with new "Photos" progam

Reaction score
Hi - A few weeks ago, I had an update on my iMac (Yosemite) which uninstalled iPhoto and replaced it with PHOTOS. I use a simple graphics creator program from Laughingbird Software called Logocreator and now am unable to import images from my photos library into that program unless I save them to my desktop first. I want to be able to go directly into PHOTOS (like I did with iPhoto) and grab my shots. How can I get this program to see the photos? It can see "Photobooth" but not the photos in "photos." It's extremely frustrating.

M

MacInWin

iPhoto is still there in your Applications folder. You don't have to use Photos unless you want to.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. However, iPhotos *is* in my applications folder, but it is grayed out with an X through it. If I click on it, it takes me to a message that says "In order to open iPhoto.app," you need to update to the latest version. The version of iphoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X Yosemite. However, when I try to go to the App store to do that, the message I get is that the version I am looking for is no longer available in the U.S. So, I'm stuck with PHOTOS. And, I already migrated all of my photos into Photos.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your copy of iPhoto should have been updated prior to downloading Yosemite which has been available for some time. Remove the iPhoto app from your Applications folder, (leave it in the Trash) then go to the Mac App Store, look for iPhoto among your downloads and re-download it. It should then download the correct version for Yosemite.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Look in your "Purchased" section of the App Store.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for your replies. However, iPhoto came preinstalled on this computer, so there will be nothing in my Mac App store purchase history, as this is my work computer and it was here when I got here. When I go to the Mac App store and search for iPhoto, information on iPhoto does come up, but unless I'm a total spaz,there is nothing clickable to make a purchase. All roads lead to the new PHOTOS. I am also contacting Laughingbird Software (who make Logocreator) but would still appreciate it if anyone has any other ideas. Maybe I just ought to be taken out and hanged. It seems like it would be quicker...and less painful.:Mischievous::Mischievous:

M

MacInWin

Thank you all very much for your replies. However, iPhoto came preinstalled on this computer, so there will be nothing in my Mac App store purchase history, as this is my work computer and it was here when I got here. When I go to the Mac App store and search for iPhoto, information on iPhoto does come up, but unless I'm a total spaz,there is nothing clickable to make a purchase. All roads lead to the new PHOTOS. I am also contacting Laughingbird Software (who make Logocreator) but would still appreciate it if anyone has any other ideas. Maybe I just ought to be taken out and hanged. It seems like it would be quicker...and less painful.:Mischievous::Mischievous:
Did you actually look at your purchase history? You have stated that "there will be nothing..." which implies that you didn't actually look. It is there under my purchases and all i've done with it is let the updates apply.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, I did look in purchase history and it only goes back 18 months. iphotos was preinstalled on this computer - why would it be in the purchase history? The computer wasn't purchased from an Apple store.

M

MacInWin

Because if you ever updated it, it shows as a purchase. And where you bought the machine is not a factor. It's your Apple ID that tracks the software installed on your machine. You should call Apple and ask the about downloading iPhoto.

OP
S
Reaction score
I obviously hadn't updated it, at least not in the last 18 months. But, I will contact the store and see what they say. Very kind thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.