Replacing iMac Glass Panel

Reaction score
Hello all,
I own the following Apple Desktop:
iMac 21.5"
Model No:A1311100
EMC: 2389

Unfortunately, the computer recently fell off the desk and the front glass panel was damaged. It is still in place but there's a visible fracture running through it. I understand that replacing the glass panel is a fairly simple, do-it-yourself procedure.

My questions are as follows:
1. I want to order a new matching panel online. Is there any significant difference between an original apple glass panel and the cheaper generic replacements available online?
2. What details should I look for on the produce I order to make sure it is compatible with my iMac?

Thank you in advance,
G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello all,
I own the following Apple Desktop:
iMac 21.5"
Model No:A1311100
EMC: 2389

Unfortunately, the computer recently fell off the desk and the front glass panel was damaged. It is still in place but there's a visible fracture running through it. I understand that replacing the glass panel is a fairly simple, do-it-yourself procedure.

My questions are as follows:
1. I want to order a new matching panel online. Is there any significant difference between an original apple glass panel and the cheaper generic replacements available online?
2. What details should I look for on the produce I order to make sure it is compatible with my iMac?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) If not already done, take a look at this iFixit Guide for your specific iMac model - looks simple. At the bottom of this guide are some prices for the items needed including the glass replacement - a screen capture is attached. As to the 'glass quality', I would probably try to obtain one at or near the Apple standards. Good luck and let us know the outcome - Dave

Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 12.13.07 PM.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) If not already done, take a look at this iFixit Guide for your specific iMac model - looks simple. At the bottom of this guide are some prices for the items needed including the glass replacement - a screen capture is attached. As to the 'glass quality', I would probably try to obtain one at or near the Apple standards. Good luck and let us know the outcome - Dave

The main consideration here is the kind of panel I get. I can save over a 100$ purchasing a generic brand off Aliexpress.com. However, I would appreciate it if any other users can advise whether this is recommended? Money is an issue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Just wanted to mention that this is very rarely done (from 2 perspectives):

- Not many folks are replacing the panels.
- Those that are (if not using an OEM panel)…probably are using a variety of generic panels.

In either case...you may not get a lot of feedback due to the rareness of the replacement.

Money is an issue.

Money is almost always an issue with about 99% of users. Nobody wants to pay more than necessary.;)

- Nick

p.s. If you want any sort of feedback…you need to supply us with the generic panel you are considering. Kinda hard to make comparisons if we don't know what we're dealing with (not sure if Aliexpress.com supplies more than one replacement panel).;)

OP
S
Reaction score
Just wanted to mention that this is very rarely done (from 2 perspectives):

- Not many folks are replacing the panels.
- Those that are (if not using an OEM panel)…probably are using a variety of generic panels.

In either case...you may not get a lot of feedback due to the rareness of the replacement.

Money is almost always an issue with about 99% of users. Nobody wants to pay more than necessary.;)

- Nick

p.s. If you want any sort of feedback…you need to supply us with the generic panel you are considering. Kinda hard to make comparisons if we don't know what we're dealing with (not sure if Aliexpress.com supplies more than one replacement panel).;)

Here's one option I could find there. The price is considertably lower, so much so that it raises suspicion.
922 9343 Glass Panel for iMac 21.5" A1311 LCD Glass Panel LCD Front Glass LCD Front Panel Mid 2010 MC508LL/A MC509LL/A-in Other Computer Products from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

This is from eBay, but does not specify a model. I need EMC 2389 A1131
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Apple-i...879?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c2950237

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry...I think that I got confused. I thought that you were talking about the actual display panel (LCD/LED panel)…versus the glass panel that attaches to the iMac magnetically.

If we were talking about the actual display panel (more expensive & many more parameters to be concerned about)…I can see more need for concern.

Since this is just the glass glass panel. I say just buy the cheap one. It's just glass, metal, and the back border. I don't think that there can be that much of a difference between generic & OEM.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.