BDDaemon memory hog

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Who knows? Not many around here that use any anti-virus app much less Bit-Defender. If bit-defender is a memory hog, quit the app and uninstall it. Problem solved.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yupp. Get rid of the AV app. Problem solved!:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Well derr! I knew that

I'm not going to run without an AV program and before I got Bit Defender twice the AV I was using ( an AV from work, supplied to prevent work getting getting infected,) allowed my computer to be infected. Been using BD Since about 2000 and never been infected, On Windows PC's and Mac
But thanks for your reply anyway

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well derr! I knew that

Let's put it this way. I saw your Yosemite install problem thread...and this thread. Even though you've been using AV since 2000...I would say that you are not a computer expert.

I could go into more detail...but long story short...you really do not need AV on a Mac. Any problems a Mac is vulernable to...your AV program most likely will not stop.

But what you have experineced is that you AV app has caused this BDDaemon problem. So your AV app ITSELF has caused more problems than it has cured!:)

If you want more info on this topic...please go to our "Security & Awareness" forum.

When two staff members suggest the same thing (uninstall the AV app)...I think that we know what we're talking about (or have good reason for giving that advice).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You really don't need anti-virus on a mac. I have two video editors at work. One a mac pro running Yosemite with Adblock Plus and Ghostery as browser extensions as my preventive measures. If you absolutely must run anti-virus ClamXav is a stand-a-lone scanner that only runs if you start it.

On my Windows 7 editor I have Avast! anti-virus backed up by weekly scans with Malwarebytes. Wish I could say I never found any issues but at least they are minor since I also run Adblock Plus and Ghostery as extensions in my browsers.

When I got my first mac I tried every anti-virus for macs on the market. Avast!, Bitdefender, Sophos, and Avira are the ones I remember. One at a time - not all at the same time ;P.

I finally figured out I did not need any of them. If I feel a fit a paranoia setting in I know I can run ClamXav so it can reaffirm for me that I really don't need any antivirus. ;)

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.