new mac pro

Reaction score
i am looking at upgrading my apple mac pro - i currently have mid 2010 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 36 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC and yosemite, I cannot really find any reviews on the new mac pro and would love for you all to help me... what are your thoughts please?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
At this point in time I can not afford one but if I could would own it. All I have seen tells me its an amazing computer. At first the looks of it got to me, but I am past that now.

OP
B
Reaction score
for me it's the size! all that power in something that is a third of the size of my mac pro... thank you for the link, it makes for a good read, i think i need to pop into an apple shop and have a proper look, it's quite an outlay but the apple towers i have had in the past have always served extremely well and outlasted any PC i have had

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't believe I've seen the Mac Pro in any of the Apple Stores I've been to. They just have the iMacs, MBPs, iPad and so on..

You might want to call down to the store you are hoping to visit and see if they have it or can even set it up for you to see/play with..

OP
B
Reaction score
i have seen it in a couple of stores, normally tucked away on the end, it's quite small... i need to have a proper play with it really and try and break it... the MP i have at the moment takes a bit of a hammering, it surprises me that it's not pushed for sales any more than it has, a good idea to ring before though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have had a chance to play with one. The Apple store by me has one and I ran into a very nice apple salesperson who was bored and willing to let me play and talk to me for almost an hour. He understood what I did with my 2009 Mac Pro and he was very informative.

It was a base model attached to a beautiful 5K retina display. It is quick and smooth. Very quiet and small. I did love playing with it and it is an awesome machine.

One concern I had was the upgradability. It is so apple proprietary. I was looking at it thinking it has to be on the desktop with cables everywhere to try to manage. Also, I can't open it and shove in a new drive or card to do what ever upgrade has occurred to me try as easily.

I realize not everyone likes to change and add to their computer and for those people who just want a fabulous work machine it would be perfect.

You do need to get your hands on one because it is a different experience.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
for me it's the size! all that power in something that is a third of the size of my mac pro...

The one thing almost everyone using computers should know…size does not matter. Do you know how big computers used to be in the 1950's and 1960's? And how much smaller & more powerful computers are now??

The electronics industry is all amount more & more power…in smaller & smaller devices. Or a lot more power in the same size device.

One thing that you're forgetting…how much room 4 internal hard drive bays and two internal optical drive bays take up in the old Mac Pro's. That's a lot of space savings right there.

Please don't use the logic…that if it's smaller it can't be more powerful. It just doesn't hold any water.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thought on on size (old Mac Pro vs. new Mac Pro).

iMac's, Mac-Mini's, all Apple notebook computers all share at least one thing in common. The internal components are packed in there with very little wasted space.

What Apple did with the new Mac Pro is apply the same design philosophy…along with eliminating:

- internal HD bays
- internal optical drive bay's
- using flash based internal storage
- using much more space efficient ram

And also consider that the old Mac Pro was at least a 2006 design…if not a 2003 design. Since the 2006 Mac Pro was basically inside a 2003 designed Powermac G5 box. So basically a lot has changed from 2003 till 2013 (when the new Mac Pro was released).

Just think. In another 10 years….how small something like a Mac Pro be…and how powerful will it have become??

Again. When it comes to computers…rarely does size matter!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Actually the new mac pro can be upgraded Via OWC and there SSD line but a warning there not cheap.

1 TB = $1400

So you might just want to upgrade what you have all you would have to do honestly is upgrade your processors to a 3.00 GHZ processor and your machine would be one snappy mother.

OP
B
Reaction score
nice feedback Lisa, it was something i was worried about but to be honest i do believe it is the way it is all heading with a lot of storage being on the cloud, i would like to have a good go with one. Thanks for the positive fb on the new pro Nick, i am completely tempted to upgrade, i have used all my bays in my current mac pro so i guess external storage is the only way forward using the thunderbolt ports - i think i will have a proper look at one before i commit but what i have seen so far i like

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I cannot really find any reviews on the new mac pro...

Just wanted to comment on this. The new Mac Pro has been out for about 18 months. There are TONS of reviews out there. Of course some are better than others. But there are LOTS of reviews. Including video reviews from both amateurs & professionals on You Tube!:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can change the RAM, Hard Drive sticks, Video Cards and I am told even the CPUs but you need to know your stuff for them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can change the RAM, Hard Drive sticks, Video Cards and I am told even the CPUs but you need to know your stuff for them.

And have a thick wallet!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And have a thick wallet!;)

- Nick

In that way same as a old Mac Pro, That RAM is expensive as are the CPU's and Video cards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.