iMovie Files Corrupt

Reaction score
I'm worried about having lost or corrupted iMovie files, and I'll start by telling you what I did: I upgraded my MacBook Pro from Lion to Yosemite with a clean install. How did I back up my movies? I clicked and dragged "movies" out of my Movie folder onto and External HD. It took an hour. After I installed Yosemite, I clicked and dragged the Movies file back into the Movies folder in my MacBook Pro. Now I couldn't open iMovie 09 so I upgraded to iMovie 10.0.6. During this install I got this message (I paraphrase): iMovie is unable to locate all parts of project files and or may not be able to incorporate all your other videos.
These are my questions:
1, Process: Did I do anything wrong in that process of clicking and dragging that might have corrupted my movie files?
2, Click and Drag/Copy and paste/File and duplicate: Is there a best practice way of moving delicate movie files? And are movie files in fact more "delicate" or breakable than writing files?
3, File duplicate finder: Is there a way to check my current movie folder against the original on my HD to see which files could not be initialized?
4, Rewriting Movie Files: Does iMovie rewrite the movie files so they can no longer work on a PC or with other movie programs?
5, Movie File Corruption Check: Is there a way to check if my current Movie folder is corrupt before I (one day in the future) upgrade to iMovie "12"?
If you can answer even one thing I'd really appreciate it:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Did you not do a full backup before upgrading?

iMovie 10 cannot open previous files from previous versions of iMovie. When running iMovie 10 for the first time, you should be prompted to import previous iMovie Projects and Events.

You should still be able to run iMovie09. Do you have iMovie09 or iMovie11, which is really version 9?

1. No reason why it shouldn't have worked.
2. Drag and drop is the usual way. Movie files aren't more delicate than other files.
3. Do you still have the original on your HD? If so, open both and compare.
4. No. iMovie files will only work with iMovie
5. There is no iMovie 12. The current version is iMovie 10.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.