Folder Icons on Desktop not appearing

Reaction score
So on the desktop the folder icon doesn't show up - the file is there with the text only but no file .icns image.

Then when you hit the "documents" file and the window pops up and usually shows the files shows only text again without folder icns

any help would be great thanks

Screen-Shot-2015-05-05-at-2.28.09-PM.png

OP
C
Reaction score
Just an update:

When I create another user and login i have normal folder icons showing up etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just an update:

When I create another user and login i have normal folder icons showing up etc.

That indicates your regular account may have corruption. You can either spend a lot of time trying to trouble shoot the problem or you can just go with a new account. Of course going with a new account also involves spending time moving everything over and continuously checking to make sure the corruption doesn't get copied to the new account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You could boot into Recovery Partition and then navigate to Disk Utility and do a Repair Permissions on that disk.

Open Disk Utility from the Applications>Utilities Folder and select the Macintosh HD from the left column.
Then click the First Aid Tab and then Repair Permissions at the bottom of the window.
Let DU do its thing and DONT worry about the Permission Errors, and when its done, close DU down, and restart your Mac and see if that helps.

Now restart the Mac and see if that changes anything.

M

MacInWin

That indicates your regular account may have corruption. You can either spend a lot of time trying to trouble shoot the problem or you can just go with a new account. Of course going with a new account also involves spending time moving everything over and continuously checking to make sure the corruption doesn't get copied to the new account.
I had to do this once to get away from a problem neither I nor Apple could figure out. It wasn't THAT painful. I transferred my files through the Shared folders to the new account so that permissions would get sorted out for me (At least they seemed to get sorted so far).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That looks suspiciously like a Finder screwup, and I'd suggest trying to put its plist into the Trash and reboot, or shutdown and do a clean boot.

The file should rebuild itself and just follow the directions here unless there's a newer and better method:
Finder issues? How to delete its preferences

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.