beginner

J

jdpfeil

I am about to buy a mac laptop and an ipod, but have a few questions about itunes. Can I burn cds to play in cd players from the library? Can I load cds I already have to my library to transfer to my ipod? Can I transfer from mac to windows and use my ipod to download from both? I'm really new to mac, but am excited about the new purchases. Any help is greatly appreciated.
--Jeremy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
jdpfeil said:
I am about to buy a mac laptop and an ipod, but have a few questions about itunes. Can I burn cds to play in cd players from the library?

You can burn playlists (that can be your CD, or any collection of songs you like) to a CD from within iTunes.

jdpfeil said:
Can I load cds I already have to my library to transfer to my ipod?

You can insert a CD and import the tracks into iTunes, and then add them to your iPod. Copying the songs to the iPod can be done manually, or iTunes can be configured to sync your iTunes library with your iPod automatically.

jdpfeil said:
Can I transfer from mac to windows and use my ipod to download from both?

I move my iPod from my Mac to my Windows machine without any problem at all. You cannot (without third party software) copy songs from your iPod to iTunes, but that can be accomplished with something like iPodDisk for OS X. Keep in mind that you can easily share files between the Mac and a Windows machine, so what you import into iTunes on the Mac, for example, can also be copied over to the Windows machine and imported into iTunes there. Of course, that's in theory. What the RIAA thinks about you wantonly moving music around like that is anybody's guess, but I suspect they don't like it much.

jdpfeil said:
I'm really new to mac, but am excited about the new purchases. Any help is greatly appreciated.
--Jeremy

You should be excited! Congratulations, and good luck with the goodies!

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
Congrats. I made the jump a few months ago and will never go back. I had generic mp3 players, and untill I had my first ipod I didnt realize the difference. Since I got the laptop, I have only turned on my PC 6 times... thats about once a week, lol. Your questions have been answered above, so I am just going to congratulate you.
-Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.