OS X 9.5 Mavericks

Reaction score
I need Mavericks to use a new piece of hardware I just purchased. I could use Yosemite but it would break too much of my favorite 3rd party software.
Will the OS X 9.5 combo update that's available through Apple support install over Mountain Lion and if so will it keep all of the existing software and files intact?
Thanks for your help. This is critical to me.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Combo updater for a given OS installs right "over the top" of that OS. All it really does is combine several updates into a single download. It usually doesn't break software. If a piece of software is working and you apply the combo updater the other software usually still works though anything's possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Combo updaters update all the files changed since installing a major OS X upgrade. The 10.9.5 Combo requires you to have at least 10.9 installed.
Unless you downloaded 10.9 already (so that it is in your App Store prior "purchases"), you can't download 10.9 now.
Maybe you have a friend who made a USB flash drive installer of 10.9?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I think Slydude slightly misunderstood and misled you. To use the OS X.9.5 Combo you need at least OS X.9 installed and running. Running the Combo Updater over Mountain Lion will do nothing. Mavericks is no longer available for download from the App Store since the release of Mavericks.

For what it is worth having used Mavericks and then Yosemite yet to find anything that does not work as it did before. Then again I always do a clean install rather than a simple upgrade.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
This answered my question and I'll have to search out a primary 10.9 installer.
Maybe ebay?

I can't use Yosemite because in my research many of my 3rd party audio plug ins will not work in Yosemite. I need them. So until updates are made or I can afford UpGrades I'm can only go as far as Mavericks.

C

chas_m

It would have been a really good idea to upgrade this stuff a year ago when it was freely available. Now that Apple has made Mavericks unavailable, you're going to have to take a big risk with dodgy and potentially malware-ridden illegal pirate installers. I'd suggest you take your machine to the nearest Apple Store and plead your case with the genius bar, maybe they'll install Mavericks for you safely.

Keep your OS and software up to date. If it's important, then its worth doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No not eBay.

With the later digital download operating systems, these ALWAYS belong to the Apple ID that downloaded them. Should you purchase one and install it guess what? You need the identity and password of the Apple ID that originally downloaded it as the software always belongs to that identity and you will not be able to access security and other updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
With the later digital download operating systems, these ALWAYS belong to the Apple ID that downloaded them.

Harry - are you sure about this?
I replaced a drive in a 2010 mini for a cousin and installed 10.9 from my flash drive installer. Used my AppleID during install. Then created their account using migration assistant. Then deleted my admin account. They haven't needed my AppleID for updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well gsahli ask them to do software updates or maybe upgrade to Yosemite and see whose Apple ID is asked for. My understanding if it was your Apple ID to download Mavericks, it stays tied to that ID. Nothing to do with admin accounts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.