Newly acquired powermac G5 help

Reaction score
Good morning all. I just acquired a powermac g5 2003 s/N xb3461dlnvs.

I really want to get this thing up and going and use it for a learning/teaching computer for my children. Want to let them learn how to operate a computer with it without messing with my main laptop. I need a few things to get this beast going though.

1. Hard Drive
2. OS software. It looks like 10.5 is the highest it will take.

Does anyone have a Hard Drive (dont need much since its mainly going to be for my kids use) either with the OS installed or a Hard Drive and an OS disc? It would be a HUGE help!!

OR---

Any suggestions on the best place to grab these two items? I really dont want to pay much because its for the kids AND- I'm not even sure if there are any other problems with this machine. It does start up and I get the blinking file "?"

thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hard drive just about anywhere (3.5" SATA):

- eBay
- Craig's List
- Newegg
- Microcenter
- OWC (macsales.com)
- Tiger Direct
- Walmart
- Best Buy
- etc. etc.

If you want OS 10.5. eBay ($35-$50).

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

Hard drives are inexpensive. Any SATA 3.5" hard drive of a reasonable size can be used in the machine. The real expense is going to be purchasing the operating system. You will need a retail version (black not gray silver) of OS X. Leopard on eBay is going for around $50, or maybe a bit less if you can find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
C

chas_m

I'd tell you to put that out on the curb and find a cheap INTEL Mac, since acquiring software for it will be soooooo much cheaper than trying to fix up that museum piece.

Something from 2009 or later should be inexpensive and not so hair-pulling as that antique will be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.