In need of affordable, upgradable mac

Reaction score
When I get a job in the really near future (possibly within a month or so), I plan on investing in a Mac. However, I'm a heavy gamer and the requirements for gaming have risen. I'm asking what Mac in particular I should get seeing as the most money I'm willing to spend in the future is close to $700 but I would like to UPGRADE IT. Like if I need to, upgrade the CPU, GPU, RAM, or memory, I can. Is there any way? Or any foreseeable options? Or am I out of luck?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you hadn't mentioned the "heavy gamer" part…I would have said there were some possibilities. Macintosh computers are not considered good gaming machines…and with a $700 max. budget…that doesn't help.

As far as the upgrading part. Forget about it. Mac's are not like Windows computers that are easily upgraded. Almost all Mac's don't work this way. At best (in most cases)…the best you can do is upgrade ram & storage. And in newer units…even that is not possible in many cases.

And of course…even Windows laptops are not very upgradeable.

- Nick

C

chas_m

The Mac Pro is the only machine where as many components as you've mentioned can be upgraded. As Nick said, Macs aren't gaming machines (though they can do gaming pretty well) and aren't designed around that priority. A friend of mine is currently reviewing a $3K Origin gaming PC, but has already said that if you really want to trick it out for that purpose, you're looking at $10K. And if you really want to use it for 3D rendering or high-end video, you're looking at $25K. For a computer.

For gaming and with a $700 budget, about your only hope is a used prev-gen Mac Pro, which should still be a decent gaming machine with a decent card in it. The processors in the pre-2013 Mac Pros are not upgradeable to the best of my knowledge (possibly in some models), but the GPU is (and of course RAM, to a point).

I think you'll find that once you have a job you'll have a lot less time for gaming -- and this is not necessarily a bad thing. I used to play a lot of games, but now I much prefer being **incredibly selective** on which games I will spend my precious free time with, and this has made the actual gaming **experience** more fun. The situation has also "forced" me to spend less time in fantasy worlds and more time in the real world, which I believe has also been a big benefit. We all enjoy the occasional escape, but too much time in gaming, I find, has negative consequences for both health and well-being.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.