Trackpad Batteries Very Low - remove warning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i72.6GHzMini 16GB, Tbolt display, 15"macbookpro, duo230, Mac IIx
I get this message from OSX a few weeks after charging my trackpad batteries, but they continue to work for another month or more... there must be a system parameter I can edit that will lower or remove the warning. Anyone know how to do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What is System Preferences > Trackpad > Point and Click saying about the state of battery charge? Personally I give rechargeables a big miss for consistency of charge and stick to Energizer Lithium Plus.

OP
thorigol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right now, it's saying 8% but I think the warnings start around 20% and my point is that the trackpad still works fine and has for over a month of these warnings. I used to recharge as soon as I got the warnings but what a waste of effort.

Admittedly I'm using cheap-no-name NiMh batteries but they work fine for 2-3 months on one charge except for the constant OSX notifications.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Admittedly I'm using cheap-no-name NiMh batteries but they work fine for 2-3 months on one charge except for the constant OSX notifications.

I'm not sure this will work and it may impact other notifications... Go to System Preferences, Notifications, and turn on the "Do not disturb" option. Let's see if that turns off the warnings. The problem with re-chargeable batteries especially NiMh types is that the voltage appears low but the current flow is actually steady.

OP
thorigol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chscag. While that appears to work, it has the downside of eliminating all notifications altogether.

What I'd really like is to find out what preferences file contains the warning limit parameters and edit them to be much lower numbers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I'd really like is to find out what preferences file contains the warning limit parameters and edit them to be much lower numbers.

It may be possible to do that from Terminal. Perhaps one of our Terminal experts will chime in here and provide a way of doing it. I rather suspected the "Do Not Disturb" would impact all other notifications. I think part of the problem may be with the type of NiMh batteries you're using. Clearly, rechargeable batteries are OK since Apple sells a set with charger designed specifically for the Magic Trackpad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.