• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How-Old Net - Guesses your age?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, I was listening to NPR and an item came up about a website where you can upload a pic(s) of your face and your age is guessed - How Old Net - hmmm?

So, I gave it a try - first uploaded a pic of me at about 27 y/o w/ my new 4 month old son - way off on my age as shown below; then uploaded an image from a few years ago - now 20 years too young, which is fine w/ me. What are your results? :) Dave

Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 12.40.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 12.41.13 PM.png

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wow Dave. Good this company isn't working at a local fair/carnival/etc. guessing peoples ages & weights…or they would go broke. Doesn't sound like that app is very accurate.

I'll have to give it a try later.:)

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I tried a handful of pictures I had lying around and it was wrong on all counts. It suggested that my 4 month old niece was 4 years old, my 7 year old daughter was 11, and it just got worse from there..:)

It managed to predict sex OK most of the time, but beyond that it's lost..fun gimmick, but just that..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I tried two pictures - the first one it got right and the other one analyzed was reported to be 25 years older than I am. So, I'm going with it being "hit or miss." ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Time for you to get back to work Dave. You got too much free time on your hands!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 GHz macbook OS X v10.9.5 mem 4 GB 1067 MHz, Ipod Touch 4th Gen, Ipod Nanos 5th & 7th gen,
Well, I was listening to NPR and an item came up about a website where you can upload a pic(s) of your face and your age is guessed - How Old Net - hmmm?

So, I gave it a try - first uploaded a pic of me at about 27 y/o w/ my new 4 month old son - way off on my age as shown below; then uploaded an image from a few years ago - now 20 years too young, which is fine w/ me. What are your results? :) Dave

Just tried this about a half hour ago, with 2 selfies (full dress-up mode, minor positional changes). The first one (wasn't thrilled with the pic, hence the second selfie) was 3 years younger. The second (the one everybody loves, including me), had somewhat better lighting and pretty much the same pose. It guessed my age as 13 years younger. My vanity age is 10 years younger and no one blinks an eye when I use it.

Sunblock :Cool: . Been using it since my teens. Guess they're right.

Maybe they look for things like nasolabial folds, puffy eyes, and certain poses or angles don't show them as much?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
"Not Happy Joan" added 3 years to mine:[

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

I am informed that submitting picture to this service is essentially giving them the rights to use the picture in perpetuity. You might want to read the fine print on this and similar services, the low accuracy suggests to me that there's another agenda happening here.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am informed that submitting picture to this service is essentially giving them the rights to use the picture in perpetuity. You might want to read the fine print on this and similar services, the low accuracy suggests to me that there's another agenda happening here.

Hi Chas.. - an interesting thought - this seems to be a Microsoft project, so who can say, but I suspect that uploading a pic or two w/o any other information will likely be harmless, but maybe I'm being naive?

Below is what is stated on the website I linked in the first post for those interested - Dave :)

Updated 5/2/2015
We’ve had some questions so we updated this post to be more clear. To answer the top one: No we don't store photos, we don't share them and we only use them to guess your age and gender. The photos are discarded from memory once we guess. While the terms of service very common in our industry, and similar to most other online services, we have chosen not to store or use the photos in any way other than to temporarily process them to guess your age.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're worried about your photo being stored somewhere... then don't get a driver's license or passport. Who is worse than your state or federal government at keeping your photo private?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're worried about your photo being stored somewhere... then don't get a driver's license or passport.
Or use any sort of online backup system. iCloud, OneDrive, Dropbox, Google+...all of them put your photos somewhere outside of your house.

Reaction score
Said I looked 8 years older than I am. I guess my reckless partying years are catching up with me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.