• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Processor Speed

R

robhimself

In system preferences under the energy saver option, you can go to "options" and set your processor performance to Automatic, Highest, or Reduced.

Will setting it to "Highest," have an effect on the life of your processor? And if not, does it have any other reprocussions?

Reaction score
robhimself said:
In system preferences under the energy saver option, you can go to "options" and set your processor performance to Automatic, Highest, or Reduced.

Will setting it to "Highest," have an effect on the life of your processor? And if not, does it have any other reprocussions?

When you consider your battery life of a laptop, which I am going to assume right now you have, there are means in which one person can can conserve the battery life, but at a cost, lower processing capabilities. What is happening when you select "reduced" is that the processor is requiring less energy, and so it does the same things, only at a slower rate. Putting it on high will mean that the processor will work at its same potential has if it were plugged into the outlet, however, the processor now requires more energy, and therefore your battery will lose its charge at a much quicker rate.

As far as the question at hands go, I myself have been running my iBook G4 on highest performance when I run it on the battery, because I typically want to get the work that I want to get accomplished long before the battery dies. I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary from turning the performance up higher. Well, maybe the only I could attribute would be a little extra heat, but that is only a minute problem for me (I run a laptop cooler). Other than tht, you have pretty free reign on the processor performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i dont think it has any major side effects to running it on highest, i still use my 3 year old powerbook on highest and it runs as amazingly smooth and fast as it did when i opened the box. i think by the time your procesor begins to slow down to a crawl (if that will even happen) you will have/want/require a new computer anyway. just my guesses though.

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
running your processor af max speed wont hurt it one bit, its only related to battery perfomance thats all

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.