file size of Pages document containing .jpegs

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro, O.S. 10.10.3.
When I wrote a document in Pages, v.5.5.2,
importing 2 .jpegs of respective sizes 2 Mb, 1Mb,
I ended up with a file size of 97 Mb. I'm told that these are compressed file sizes and that the .jpegs are being expanded in the Pages document.
Can I retain the compression somehow?

Many thanks.

Paul Stephenson

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A document file size of 97 MB is not unusual either in Pages or Word. Is there some problem with a document of that size? As for the JPEG graphics... yes they are compressed, however, they should not uncompress once added to Pages. It's quite normal for documents to increase in size when any graphics are added not just JPEG files.

OP
M
Reaction score
Pages file sizes

Dear chscag,

Many thanks for that. The editor of the particular journal I was writing the piece in question for can't handle those file sizes. However, I can simply use my dropbox to send a .pdf of the whole document and all the artwork files separately.

Paul Stephenson

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's unusual but perhaps it's not for Pages. I have a 250+ page Word document with pictures (3) and it comes in under 10MB. Can you tell us anything else about this document?

OP
M
Reaction score
Dear Van smith,

Thank you for that. There's nothing else in the document but a few Geometer's Sketchpad files, whose file sizes are tiny.

Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's unusual but perhaps it's not for Pages. I have a 250+ page Word document with pictures (3) and it comes in under 10MB.

You know, I just looked at what I replied and realized I confused (or didn't pay attention) to MB vs. KB. You're right. My largest Word document comes in at less than 1 MB including graphics.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You know, I just looked at what I replied and realized I confused (or didn't pay attention) to MB vs. KB. You're right. My largest Word document comes in at less than 1 MB including graphics.
Yeah, that's why I was thinking that perhaps there was something else there.

Win zip is a another tool for compressed documents..You can download easily.It works perfectly.
No need to get WinZip - simply right-click the file and compress.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.