Can't download Flash player or reader

Reaction score
New to the MAC world. Just got a G5 running mac os x version 10.3.9, Dual 2.5 GHz power pc g5. I just factory formatted the unit. I can't get the MSN home page to display all the content. I tired to download the flash player from Adobes website. But when the download page comes up it doesn't show the download button or the drop down boxes to chose which OS you have. Its like half the page is cut off. Window is zoomed out fully. I also can't download the reader. I was excited about getting this, but very frustrated.

C

chas_m

New to the MAC world. Just got a G5 running mac os x version 10.3.9, Dual 2.5 GHz power pc g5. I just factory formatted the unit.

You understand this is an obsolete, 11 year old computer, yes?

I tired to download the flash player from Adobes website. But when the download page comes up it doesn't show the download button or the drop down boxes to chose which OS you have.

Adobe's page will automatically detect what platform your are on, so there's no need to select to. The problem here is that Adobe hasn't supported 10.3.9 in years, and there is no version of Flash that is safe to run on a machine that old.

I'm not sure what your purpose was in buying such an old computer, but it is unsafe to put on the Internet and not capable of running any version of OS X released in the last five years. Which as you know is a very long time ago in computer time.

If you're interested in getting a Mac computer, that's great! You probably want to buy something that was made in this decade, ie a 2010 or preferably newer. I generally advise switchers to look at buying the most recent Mac mini or iMac (for desktops) or the most recent MacBook Air (for portable) from 2009 or later that they can afford as the best "starter Mac."

Technology, software, graphics hardware, and security all change pretty rapidly. To use any sort of modern software or OS on the modern Internet, you need something fairly recent to be both safe and up-to-date.

Also, "Mac" is short for Macintosh, it's not an acronym.

OP
H
Reaction score
You understand this is an obsolete, 11 year old computer, yes?

Adobe's page will automatically detect what platform your are on, so there's no need to select to. The problem here is that Adobe hasn't supported 10.3.9 in years, and there is no version of Flash that is safe to run on a machine that old.

I'm not sure what your purpose was in buying such an old computer, but it is unsafe to put on the Internet and not capable of running any version of OS X released in the last five years. Which as you know is a very long time ago in computer time.

If you're interested in getting a Mac computer, that's great! You probably want to buy something that was made in this decade, ie a 2010 or preferably newer. I generally advise switchers to look at buying the most recent Mac mini or iMac (for desktops) or the most recent MacBook Air (for portable) from 2009 or later that they can afford as the best "starter Mac."

Technology, software, graphics hardware, and security all change pretty rapidly. To use any sort of modern software or OS on the modern Internet, you need something fairly recent to be both safe and up-to-date.

Also, "Mac" is short for Macintosh, it's not an acronym.

Well it was given to me free and wanted to learn a little about using Apple pc's before I bought something new. Adobe does have archive files of older players. My thought is I need to update the operating system to at least 10.5. Wonder if that is possible.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well it was given to me free and wanted to learn a little about using Apple pc's before I bought something new. Adobe does have archive files of older players. My thought is I need to update the operating system to at least 10.5. Wonder if that is possible.

Yes, it's possible to update the operating system to Leopard 10.5.8, however, you will need to find a retail Leopard DVD (black in color not silver gray). The only place you probably will be able to purchase the Leopard DVD that you need is from eBay. Prices will vary but probably cost around $50.00.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes, it's possible to update the operating system to Leopard 10.5.8, however, you will need to find a retail Leopard DVD (black in color not silver gray). The only place you probably will be able to purchase the Leopard DVD that you need is from eBay. Prices will vary but probably cost around $50.00.
Thanks for the input. Just seems to be a wast of a pc if you can't upgrade it. The original cost of this pc was over $2000. Its like new condition and is very fast. Just can't do a lot of stuff without the flash player or reader. Can't even do a speed test or look at youtube videos.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The G5 dual CPU tower was indeed a fine machine in its day. And if you got one for free in pristine condition, then there is no reason why you shouldn't use it and experiment. Good luck with it and have fun.

OP
H
Reaction score
The G5 dual CPU tower was indeed a fine machine in its day. And if you got one for free in pristine condition, then there is no reason why you shouldn't use it and experiment. Good luck with it and have fun.

Thanks. Just trying to learn some Apple and trying to keep up with kids these days. My kids don't have school books any more and have mac books. plus a lot of our vendors only use mac's.I am just way behind the times.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This G5 is indeed a great machine but because at best you could run 10.5.8 you have no support. That is, no security updates. It is no doubt possible to get old browser versions and old versions of word processor suits like early Open Office the problem is you will have no protection against malware or hackers on line.
This means it would be risky to setup an Apple ID which in turn means no iTunes and no web browsing. Even eMail is risky.
What you do have is a very good word processor, a place to store and play music (like your CD collection) a place to store, view and process Photos from your camera eg you could put them on a CD or make a slideshow and a machine to play retro mac games which are freely available on eBay.
Having said all that you can set up two step verification for both your Apple ID and most email services but open browsing is not something I'd want to do.:(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.