Underwhelmed By Performance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad Core i5; 8GB; 1TB HDD
After using my iMac for awhile, I think I'm not going to call the purchase a slam-dunk. My wife complained the other day about sluggishness and readily rattles off the price of the machine.

I looked up something about benchmarking the system to see if there's a bottleneck somewhere and heard about Speedmark 9 but cannot find anything on this site about it nor anywhere to get it.
How we test: Speedmark 9 Mac benchmarks | Macworld

I just read about a utility called Maintenance, but I figured that my machine shouldn't need it, being so new. I'll try it but....

Thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After using my iMac for awhile, I think I'm not going to call the purchase a slam-dunk. My wife complained the other day about sluggishness and readily rattles off the price of the machine.

Be sure to buy her a nice gift for Mother's Day.... ;D

How about defining what you mean by "sluggishness" and what you deem is wrong. Don't worry about benchmarks as that is not important unless you're a gamer running graphic intensive games. Your new iMac should run very well but we need to know exactly how you're using it and what types of programs you're running.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't expect to see the spinning color wheel upon login, nor click-n-wait on launch of apps like Safari.

We were expecting snappier response. I'm okay using it when I get going, but I understand her concerns.

Be sure to buy her a nice gift for Mother's Day.... ;D

Thank you for the kind reminder.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't expect to see the spinning color wheel upon login, nor click-n-wait on launch of apps like Safari.

We were expecting snappier response. I'm okay using it when I get going, but I understand her concerns.

You shouldn't be seeing the spinning color wheel (icon for waiting) upon logging on to your new iMac. Or waiting for Safari to launch.... Your machine has enough memory ( 8 GB) and with a 1 TB hard drive that's new, I'm fairly certain you have plenty of free space on the drive.

Can you tell us what, if any programs are starting automatically when you boot the machine? Look in System Preferences, Users & Groups, Login Items.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

You should remind us what you upgraded from. And I'm assuming what's in your profile is the new unit.

As far as benchmarking software…I use Geekbench and Cinebench.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should remind us what you upgraded from. And I'm assuming what's in your profile is the new unit.

As far as benchmarking software…I use Geekbench and Cinebench.

- Nick

This is my first Mac. I attached a couple screenshots of a benchmark software I found on the app store. Not sure if I have the correct reference selected (Late 2014), I purchased the machine in Feb 2015 (refurb) from Apple.

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 11.14.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 11.14.22 PM.png

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You shouldn't be seeing the spinning color wheel (icon for waiting) upon logging on to your new iMac. Or waiting for Safari to launch.... Your machine has enough memory ( 8 GB) and with a 1 TB hard drive that's new, I'm fairly certain you have plenty of free space on the drive.

Can you tell us what, if any programs are starting automatically when you boot the machine? Look in System Preferences, Users & Groups, Login Items.

No much.

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 11.20.10 PM.png

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well, lookey here....I don't wanna go mucking around with default security settings (yet).

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 11.25.39 PM.png

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The app youre talking about "Maintainence" is a simplified version of Onyx from Titanium software. It is free and this forum actively recommends Onyx. So it does exactly what the name suggests. The reason you cant open it is because Security and Privacy settings do not allow software that is not downloaded from the App Store by default. You can easily change that to Mac App Store and trusted developers in System Preferences > Security and privacy. Or just right click on open for a one off exception. Titanium is a trustworthy source.
There will be no harm running either app but there may also be no improvement.
Try having a look through this article; 9 Reasons Why a Mac is Running Slow and What to Do About It | OSXDaily

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

Rod, his setting are already "Mac App Store and identified developers." What the OP needs to do is to right-click on the app, click on "Open" and then allow the application to run. What that sequence does is tell the operating system that you trust Maintenance and your source for it and that you think it is safe to run. Once it runs, you won't see that warning again, as you have trusted it. BTW, for jaybird180, if you got that from the developer site, it's trustworthy, but if you got it from anywhere else, you may want to remove it and get it from the developer website at Titanium Software - Home. make sure you get the version for your version of the operation system.

C

chas_m

I've never heard of iQuickMark before, and those numbers don't mean much in context, but it does seem pretty obvious that the hard drive is not performing as it should compared to the "reference" (iMac) numbers for that model.

Some more information on the hard drive and how full it is might prove insightful. You should also gather some information about the specifics of your machine to determine if you're using the right comparison model for the test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've never heard of iQuickMark before, and those numbers don't mean much in context, but it does seem pretty obvious that the hard drive is not performing as it should compared to the "reference" (iMac) numbers for that model.

Some more information on the hard drive and how full it is might prove insightful. You should also gather some information about the specifics of your machine to determine if you're using the right comparison model for the test.

+1.

Whatever it's testing for "Disk" performance and comparison, it sure looks like something is wrong and far from ideal!! :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree with Chas, that Disk Benchmark screams that there is some issue with the hard drive. Since you just got the machine even refurb, there should be apple care, have them check it.

M

MacInWin

But before you drag it into Apple, how much space is free on that drive? Over-full drives have really lousy performance.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Rod, his setting are already "Mac App Store and identified developers." What the OP needs to do is to right-click on the app, click on "Open" and then allow the application to run. What that sequence does is tell the operating system that you trust Maintenance and your source for it and that you think it is safe to run. Once it runs, you won't see that warning again, as you have trusted it. BTW, for jaybird180, if you got that from the developer site, it's trustworthy, but if you got it from anywhere else, you may want to remove it and get it from the developer website at Titanium Software - Home. make sure you get the version for your version of the operation system.

You're right Jake and I notice now that if the system refuses to open an app for that reason and you go to the Security and Privacy settings it will have a note saying that it refused permission to open the app in question and why, and gives you the option to override the settings, without changing them for that exception. I'm guessing that once this is done it adds the developer to the "trusted" list.
By the way I would not open the version from MacUpdate or wish to add them to my "trusted" list. (see the OP's attached image)

M

MacInWin

No, because the next app from that developer will have the same security issue. I think it adds the app to the "trusted" list, not the developer. But in either case, you don't have to change security settings to open the application.

C

chas_m

Just want to add that MacUpdate is a TOTALLY trustworthy source for downloads, nothing like those CNET scum who deliberately spread malware for money. However, I agree with the advice given that the developer's own site is the best source for a given piece of software, particularly if it is one that trips Gatekeeper's protections.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just want to add that MacUpdate is a TOTALLY trustworthy source for downloads, nothing like those CNET scum who deliberately spread malware for money. However, I agree with the advice given that the developer's own site is the best source for a given piece of software, particularly if it is one that trips Gatekeeper's protections.

Thanks chas, that's good news I had no personal reasons for being suspicious of MacUpdate just don't like to advise anyone to use a third party source for software downloads when the developers site is available. I have heard that someone tried to attach malware to Adware Medic in an attempt to sabotage this free app for removing adware. So only the developers site is currently considered a safe source (The Safe Mac).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
MacUpdate usually also supplies a direct link to the developer as well for those who want to check or use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
But before you drag it into Apple, how much space is free on that drive? Over-full drives have really lousy performance.

Even then, it should not be that much slower on what is generally a random read test.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.