iPhoto events lost its pictures

Reaction score
I have 89 GB photos in my iPhoto library and I wanted to export the pictures into "generic" format so I can view them even I don't have iPhoto in the future. It made copies, it took long time. But now I see some of my events in the iPhoto library shows zero photos! it shows the event title and a black and white Palm tree photo. Can someone please tell me what is the problem? Thanks and regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Most likely, instead of actually importing the photos into iPhoto originally you only pointed to their original location ('Copy' checkbox unclicked on iPhoto Advanced preferences). If you have moved the original location, iPhoto loses the link. When you exported did you export to the location of the originals?

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I exported those photos to another folder in the MacBook hard disk.I can find them in the finder. But they are exported as bulk of 15000 photos without any event title. So it wasn't what I wanted. Also in the mean time in my iPhoto library several events' photos disappeared. :(
Have a nice day, regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Export doesn't retain event info - When you export it asks for a a folder name. That's where it will put them. Event info is tied to iPhoto, so if you move them out you'll loose the Event info. Also as Events are an intricate part of iPhoto you'll only be able to access then in the application. No amount of searching in Finder is going to work.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you for answer. I realized that, I guess I have to trust that iPhoto libraries can be read in the future even the app is not around...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.