Dell bought Alienware!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
Dell has bought out Alienware! Dell will now sell AMD chips (through Aienware)! I had no idea that this deal was even a possibility! Haha I am a little behind. Oh, well did any of you know about this possible deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
hmmm it will be interesting to see where Dell take this little company now

Reaction score
to the craphole..
dell also just recentlyi dropped the standard factory warranty on its machines from one year down to 90 days. that shows they dont believe in their product. at this point.. i'm feeling kinda bad for alienware. i know they are supposed to be great gaming machines.
we'll see

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Not that big of a deal. Alienware is mostly marketing hype-- they overcharge for what you get. They are basically charging you a major premium for the name brand and a brightly colored case with neon lights in it. Dell, whose bread and butter business is selling cheap computers on the enterprise market along with service contracts, has been trying to get in to the high priced gaming rig market (with high mark ups) for a while with their XPS line. They haven't had that much luck though, and the XPS computers are pretty much speced exactly the same as their high end desktops, which you can buy for a bit cheaper.

Also, the recent rumors were that Dell was majorly POed at Intel for teaming up with Apple for the CoreDuo launch and letting Apple out of all of the branding restrictions that Intel subjects the rest of its customers to. They have contracts with Intel so while they'd like to sell systems with AMD chips in them (if for no other reason than to flip Intel the bird), from a business standpoint it might not make sense. But having another division that allready has pre-existing contracts with AMD means they can do this and not technically violate any deals that they already have. But Michael Dell still gets to let Intel know that he isn't happy.

L

lil

"Not that big of a deal. Alienware is mostly marketing hype-- they overcharge for what you get. They are basically charging you a major premium for the name brand and a brightly colored case with neon lights in it."

Being devil's advocate, one could argue that Apple do the same with their Intel offerings :flower:

Although, Mac OS X makes it complately worth every penny in my book!

Vicky

T

tortoise

lil said:
Being devil's advocate, one could argue that Apple do the same with their Intel offerings :flower:

Although, Mac OS X makes it complately worth every penny in my book!

Exactly. When Alienware releases an OS as nice as OSX to go with their machines, I'd consider buying one.

Reaction score
tortoise said:
Exactly. When Alienware releases an OS as nice as OSX to go with their machines, I'd consider buying one.
aaa-men!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
thelox714 said:
to the craphole..
dell also just recentlyi dropped the standard factory warranty on its machines from one year down to 90 days. that shows they dont believe in their product.

i could be wrong here, but isn't that the same warranty that apple has?

L

lil

Apple's standard warranty is 1yr with every Mac sold; with a possible extra 2 years (for a total of 3) applicable if AppleCare is taken out.

Vicky

Reaction score
I've actually heard many good things about the XPS.

Anyway, I didn't even know that Alienware got bought out, especially since I just read a review of one of their most expensive laptops..and it didn't mention it. =\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
scooter said:
i could be wrong here, but isn't that the same warranty that apple has?
The 90 days is only for the phone support... the actual warranty itself is standard 1 yr.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
While they make some great desktops, they make some crazy laptops complete with near top end graphics processors, top of the line CPU's and usually a raid setup on the hard drives!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
lil said:
Apple's standard warranty is 1yr with every Mac sold; with a possible extra 2 years (for a total of 3) applicable if AppleCare is taken out.

Vicky

kewl, thanks for clearing that up for me vicky and slyydrr! :)

Reaction score
looks like i got too late to answer.. lol... jk
good to see somebody caught it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
jaywong87 said:
I've actually heard many good things about the XPS.

Ahahahahahahahahahah HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... whoooh, ya got me there... oho, did I tell you about my Dell XPS?

In January, I got a Dell XPS M140 laptop, and for a while, I was happy with it. Then, the problems started.

Okay, First, understand the thing was a gaming laptop with 512 RAM and an 80 GB hard drive. MS Word didn't work (legal). Firefox got corrupted. Norton didn't work. Rome: Total War lagged. Yes, a gaming laptop lagged playing an intensive game. Yet, within the first week or so, all of these worked just fine. I returned the laptop and got my mac. I am so happy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.