Completely Dissatisfied with Photos -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
But I know that soon it will be the only game in town.

Is there a way to migrate my new pictures from Photos to iPhoto? I'd like to use iPhoto as long as possible.

Thank you.

Rich

Reaction score
Well no once you convert your library to photo's you are basically out of luck and you can't run iPhoto in 10.10.3 it won't let users on certain machines we still don't know why..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You shouldn't have to migrate anything unless you setup separate libraries previously or some such and your iPhoto should still be available for your use.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If nothing else works and you have new pics in Photos that are NOT in iPhoto, Select the pictures in Photos and drag them to the desktop, then open iPhoto and drop them into iPhoto.

If I am reading your post correctly, that will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
iPhoto will still be in your Application Folder and unchanged. You can delete the Photos application. What will happen with the next operating system, we will have to wait and see.

C

chas_m

I wouldn't recommend deleting the Photos application, but as others have pointed out you can carry on using the iPhoto application for now, as the iPhoto Library is still there along with the app. Just replace the Photos icon with the iPhoto one in the dock. Exporting what few photos you may have added to only Photos is a matter of drag, drop on desktop, drag into iPhoto, delete desktop copies.

I'm not sure what there is to be "dissatisfied" about with Photos, as it is essentially the same app as iPhoto with a (slightly) new coat of paint -- and the same app you're using on your iPhone/iPad without complaint. Yes, there are some features in iPhoto that aren't in Photos in its 1.0 incarnation. Yes, that is true.

I hope you're sitting down, because this next clause is a shocker: all of those features weren't in iPhoto 1.0 either, back in the day. WHAT?! :)

Wait, there's more: Photos will get updates! Yes! And some of those updates will include features that aren't in there now! Shock!

But when it comes to "how this operates," I frankly can barely tell the difference. The editing tools are better in Photos (quite considerably so, in fact), but the round-trip option to third-party apps isn't there ... yet. So I'm still using iPhoto. But amazingly, I don't have to hate Photos in order to love iPhoto. Guess I'm not bipolar enough for modern-day America ...

I mean, as far as I can tell the big difference between Photos and iPhoto (ignoring features that are likely to be reimplemented in future updates) is that Events are now called Moments, and organized more logically. All my projects and pictures are still there, more easily findable now, and the Photos app now handles RAW so much better I don't have to rely on Lightroom anymore (yay!). And the whole thing is much faster now.

Overall, my impression of Photos is that I can't use it right at the moment because of some missing features I rely on, like metadata editing and round-tripping. But as a replacement for iPhoto, it's already much more promising and will continue to get more so as time and updates go by. This is the same thing that happened with iMovie and a dozen other programs over the years, I guess I'm just getting used to it.

Call me crazy, but I kind of prefer Apple's "burn the house down and (usually) build a better house" approach over other platforms "bloat and more bloat and bloat some more" approach. In fact I kind of wish Apple had the guts to do the same thing to iTunes that they just did to iPhoto: the separate-apps approach they use for iTunes' duties in iOS would work well on OS X these days ... and there are some hints that Apple thinks so too ...

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Oh Chas, you are so right, in fact I had only just recently theorised in this forum that the successor to iTunes might be called Music in line with the mobile app and the admin/account functions of iTunes combined into a modified version of the App Store.
Personally I dislike the current version of iTunes (12.1). Some of the views are just a waste of space. Music > Playlists > with column browser on is still the most useable view and that hasen't changed for years, except to be harder to find.
I do like the fact that Apple left iPhoto intact along with the introduction of Photos. I have been able to experiment with Photos (without worrying about making an irreversible mistake) which I am liking more and more while still maintaining my iPhoto library for day to day use. I think I will be converting completely soon. Perhaps after the next update. For the moment I am loading new photos into both.
I also suggest people take the Photos Quick Tour in the Help menu. And/or go to the Photos Help menu and just start reading there's lots to like about this app, I especially like the Gestures options.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And, you can't delete Photos anyway. The system won't allow it. Frankly, I don't know why folks just don't give it a try and wait to see how it develops as Apple improves it. In the meantime use iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 Mid-2007 OSX 10.8.5
Late one night when I downloaded Photos I thought I was downloading an update to iPhoto. The download process took a long time and I immediately began to seek out reasons not to like the change. Saw a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth online. I hunted down an online tutorial created by Garrick Chow. Superb. 30 minutes well spent watching and hearing an excellent explanation covering the vast majority of my own and others' concerns and complaints. It is not unusual for a company to be so immersed in their own wondrous new products that they lose the knack to explain it with clarity and empathy for the average user.

I am now "cool" with the change and fully expect Apple to tweak it into excellence. I have a few suggestions that I will pass along to Cupertino. As I hope many others will do to refine the product experience.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You shouldn't have to migrate anything unless you setup separate libraries previously or some such and your iPhoto should still be available for your use.
PM-R that is not true. iPhoto and Photos have separate lbraries, (see below) that is why changes in one are not reflected in the other.
This is a double edged sword, it means you can go ahead and experiment with Photos to your hearts content with no fear of altering your iTunes Library, but you will need to select iPhoto as the destination for new photos and that means no new photos will load into Photos, with the exception of Photo Stream and shared albums which can load to both.

Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 11.06.48.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I believe pm-r was talking about the possiblity of having multiple iPhoto libraries (hence the set up "previously"), not the fact that iPhoto and Photos each have their own library file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.