Brought my Mac back to fabric and is now disconnected from my iPhone/iPad

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need a hand please.
I brought my Mac back to fabric setting and now it looks like it was absolutely disconnected from my iPhone/iPad. My Mac won't show me any of the apps I currently have on my iPhone/iPad, music playlists are also gone, and syncing has no sense, as my mac does nothing to my iPhone.
Is there anyway (besides restoring my iPhone/iPad, downloading again all my apps and loading them into the iPhone/iPad) in which I can make these guys talk again?
Thanks!!

C

chas_m

I have no idea what the phrase "back to fabric" means, I'm going to guess you mean that its been reset as though it was a new machine -- no user accounts, no data on it? If so, then obviously it's not going to show you any data from the iPhone, as you erased the material it syncs to and the connection information.

You'll want to plug in your iPhone to the computer using the USB cable and set it up again. If you didn't erase your backup of the iPhone and the material that was on it, it will all sync back over the connection. Give us a lot more detail on this and we'll advise further.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
cbieregel
Reaction score
Hi guys,

sorry for my not-even-close-to-native english... that's exactly what I wanted to say with "back to fabric"... back to factory settings... thanks!

So, the fact is that I don't have a single app on my mac and probably no backup from iPhone/iPad. Any ideas, other than "download all apps again, restore iPhone/iPad and sync apps again back into iPhone/iPad"?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do have a Time Machine or cloned backup on an external drive ~ an absolute must these days? Just migrate them over.

C

chas_m

Thanks for clearing that up -- I was ready to blame autocorrect for that one! :)

Yes, as harryb mentions, if you have a backup you can restore from the backup. If you don't, kick yourself and then use a third-party app like iExplorer to do a "reverse sync" back to the Mac from the iPhone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You won't be able to use iExplorer if you're running iOS 8.3 on your iPhone as it no longer works. The folks at iExplorer are blaming it on Apple saying that Apple has locked out the iOS file system from third party apps.

Edit: OK, it looks like they updated it and say it's now ready for iOS 8.3. I've got to upgrade my copy.

OP
cbieregel
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help! Have already kicked myself and will now look into iExplorer....

Thanks!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.