Time Machine backups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2011 27" i7 iMac iPad Air iPhone 6 iPod Classic Sierra
I have a late 2011 27" IMac upgraded to a i7 processor running Time Machine to a 1TB WD Elements external drive. Up to 26/3/2015 the backups were fine with all files present. Sometime between 26/3 and 31/3 I renamed one of the folders by placin a 1. in from of it to make it the folder that appeared top of the list of folders, since it was the one I used the most. Since that time all the backups have sub-folders missing in this renamed folder, any help as to why this might be , and how to rectify it would be appreciated.

C

chas_m

Here's a better idea, that may fix the issue: sort that directory by most recently updated. Thus, your most-used folder will always be at the time, and you won't be confusing Time Machine by putting a period (which indicates an extension is to follow) after it. Depending on how you named it, Time Machine may be thinking that the folder is now a file.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chasm I have done that and will look at the directories on Time Machine later to see if they reflect the new structure and more importantly that all the information is now backed up as of today's date.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem sorted Thanks again.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The moral of the story here; don't stuff around with Time Machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.