Switchers afraid of losing Windows apps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
Not a problem, as I just discovered!

s2485s.jpg

Just keep your old PC in some broom closet somewhere and you can remotely run all the apps that you were so fond of. Not only is this faster, but also cheaper than VirtualPC :)

This is getting better and better :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Kar98 said:
Not a problem, as I just discovered!

s1s1sg.jpg

Just keep your old PC in some broom closet somewhere and you can remotely run all the apps that you were so fond of. Not only is this faster, but also cheaper than VirtualPC :)

This is getting better and better :D

So what Emulator is that? You did not say.

Reaction score
Its not an emulator, its remote desktop. I prefer RealVNC.

You can't game through remote desktop...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
mynameis said:
Its not an emulator, its remote desktop. I prefer RealVNC.

You can't game through remote desktop...

Opps, guess I did not read that last sentence closely.

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pixel_Donkey said:
How did you do that, does OS X have terminal services installed or something?

Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client 1.0.3 for Mac

Brief tutorial here: http://www.utexas.edu/its/windows/resources/rdc_macintosh.html

Short version: install RDC on your Mac, enable remote connections on the XP PC, make sure your user account on the XP PC has a password, check the IP address your PC has in your LAN...

Run back to your Mac, start RDC enter the PCs IP addy, user name and password, and you'll get a window allowing you to **** around on the Windows PC.

Might be a little slow for gaming, depends on your two computers and the connection between them, but good enough to work with a few programs that don't have an OSX equivalent. Also, you can even fully copy and paste between the two computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
The only problem with this is you need XP Professional, I have Home. Unless you have found a way to do this with XP Home then not many people are going to find this overly useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Might be a little slow for gaming, depends on your two computers and the connection between them, but good enough to work with a few programs that don't have an OSX equivalent. Also, you can even fully copy and paste between the two computers.

Funny you say that while you are installing Office on a Windows PC. Office is on the Mac.

There are few programs for Windows that dont have a Mac equivalent, I dont use any I cant get on a Mac.

Gaming - I didnt move to Mac to do gaming. Thats what I have a XP desktop for.

However, I like Apple Remote desktop better then Windows version. It lets you do WAY more. Unless you have the AdminPak from Windows 2003 Server.

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mynameis said:
Does it even work at all with Direct3D? Try it...

The remote machine is a AMD K6-II 475Mhz with 256MB RAM... :eek:neye:

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JGruber said:
Funny you say that while you are installing Office on a Windows PC. Office is on the Mac.

There are few programs for Windows that dont have a Mac equivalent, I dont use any I cant get on a Mac.

True. But I had a few MS Publisher files I couldn't get to open here on the Mac.

Gaming - I didnt move to Mac to do gaming. Thats what I have a XP desktop for.

Somebody asked for it, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it in first place :p

However, I like Apple Remote desktop better then Windows version. It lets you do WAY more.

Probably. But it's $299 vs. free. All I need it to do is convert half a dozen flyers and business cards into a format I can use on the mini, and I probably won't ever use it again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.