Late 2008 15" MBP unibody shuts off...

Reaction score
I found an '08 15" MBP unibody 2.53gz 4g ram, new battery+charger. Says its in very good condition, not exposed to extreme temps. He wants $175

I looked it up and it was actually made in June 2009. Week 23.

Only problem is that it "Works for a bit then shuts off. not sure what's wrong with it. That's why the low price."

The graphics chip/logic board problem was solved with the GeForce 9600M GT, wasn't it? This line was discontinued in June 2009, so this was one of the last ones made.

I wonder if it might be worth taking a chance on it, since it doesn't have the previous NVIDIA 8600m graphics card…

I know its an old machine, I don't have a lot of money and my '07 17" MBP is falling apart. This MacBook Pro 5,1 would be a step-up for me. And the price is right….I'm tempted to go check it out, at least. Although the seller is an hour away…

Anyone have an opinion? I'm still undecided and thought I'd get a 2nd opinion…anyone?

thanks
Mike

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyone have an opinion? I'm still undecided and thought I'd get a 2nd opinion…anyone?

When a computer works for a bit then shuts off…my first thought is there's an overheating problem. Basically the computer works until it gets too hot…then it automatically shuts off (safety feature).

So the question would be…what's causing the over heating? Could be a number of things. Bottom line. There aren't that many parts inside a MacBook Pro. If it's a logic board problem…and you buy this computer…then basically $175 down the drain.

I would suspect that the current owner could have investigated things…and may even know what the problem is (an expensive repair). So you could be doing this guy a really BIG favor by purchasing it. So it's up to you.

Hey…I've purchased used computers that weren't working right…and got them working. But it's a big risk. If you want to take the risk. Get the seller to let you have it for $100. This way if you can't fix it…you can sell it on eBay for parts…and get your $100 back.:)

If the seller says no to the $100 offer. Walk away!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.