Delete iBooks App

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 10.11.1, (Retina, 15-inch) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Since I use Jutoh for writing and editing ebooks and Calibre for ebook management I have no use for iBooks. However, with Yosemite 10.10.3 I cannot delete iBooks. And, every time I go to launch a ebook from Jutoh to Calibre it won't do so since iBooks takes over. I need to delete this app but I am unable to. Does anyone know how to do this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't delete iBooks since it's tied in and part of OS X. However, you should be able to make Calibre your default ebook reader so that it opens instead of iBooks. Have you tried to do that? If you don't know how to do it, read this article.

OP
Gwaredd Thomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 10.11.1, (Retina, 15-inch) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
You can't delete iBooks since it's tied in and part of OS X. However, you should be able to make Calibre your default ebook reader so that it opens instead of iBooks. Have you tried to do that? If you don't know how to do it, read this article.

Good suggestion. However, there is no provision to do a "Open With" in the "Get Info" in Yosemite. In Edit there is a "Open With" but it's grayed out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try using the free "RCDefaultApp" utility which you can download from here. It's a bit dated but still works to set an app as default. It creates a preference pane in your System Preferences. When used, it will ask to restart System Preferences. Give it a try. And I don't know why you can't do an "open with" on the file type that's created by Calibre.

OP
Gwaredd Thomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try using the free "RCDefaultApp" utility which you can download from here. It's a bit dated but still works to set an app as default. It creates a preference pane in your System Preferences. When used, it will ask to restart System Preferences. Give it a try. And I don't know why you can't do an "open with" on the file type that's created by Calibre.

Thanks Mate! It worked great. A handy little item indeed. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.