normal.dotm template file WORD 2011

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac/Macbook Pro
I cannot locate the normal.dotm file by opening Word/file/open selecting word templates and following the path. It is not there. When I go to Library/application support/MIcrosfot/office/users/my templates I can open the normal.dotm but it opens it as an unlabeled document, which makes no changes to the actual template. Does anyone know the right way to modify this file in IOS 10.10.13? Had to reinstall Word and now trying to get configuration right?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Make the changes you want to create a new template, then select Save As..., then change the format to Word template... It will auto change the location to save your new template to the folder you have named above.

(Just an FYI: It is not IOS. iOS is the operating system on iPhones and iPads. OS X is the operating system on your Mac and the latest version is 10.10.3)

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac/Macbook Pro
you're right...sorry for the wrong info, I knew better but have been working on several issues today so am exhausted. I have tried to do as you said, but it hasn't worked as far as saving the new template settings. Even when I select yes to replace the existing file. I can get the normal.dtm file open, but when I do it is read only and I have not been able to change the permissions. I am admin on machine and only user. What shall I try next?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What do you mean it is not there when you follow the path? Have no problem opening it from within Word using the Open command.

Are you looking in your home folder / Library and not the Library folder at the root?

edit:

I cannot locate the normal.dotm file by opening Word/file/open selecting word templates and following the path. It is not there. ...

Leave the "Enable" box as "All Office Documents" - do not change that to templates.

After you make your changes, then just use the "Save" option - not "Save As". It will save as your new default blank document.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac/Macbook Pro
I was looking in the wrong one....thanks for pointing out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.