UK TAX: buying a new Late 2014 Cylinder Mac Pro from Abroard (in France/Ireland)

Reaction score
This would not be possible with the old boxy silver/square macs. But considering the ultra-compact small size the New Mac Pro i’m considering buying it OUT of UK and returning it (sans packaging) in my normal suitcase.

As of May 2015, The price for a new Mac Pro 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC, 6-core in UK £3,299 + £640 for a 1TB SSD = £3,939 GBP).

For the same spec, buying it in Ireland costs: €4,899 - equivalent (£3,498.25 in GBP) - that’s almoist £500 cheaper!

Buying the same spec in France costs: €4,799.00 or (£3,426.89 in GBP - £511 cheaper !

So UK Price £3939 vs French Price £3426. It's a no brainer!

As i live close to Folkestone. My my idea is to hop on the Eurostar ferry to Paris, (£40) and pick up a shiny new Mac Pro anyway (which i’m going to buy anyway). Might as well save £500.

I just have 3 questions:

1) Any problems with customs if i just remove all the packaging, and chuck the Mac Pro in my suitcase?

2) Also, any problems with the French power supply / plug? (will it still work with UK 240v) ?

3) How does Apple Store in France work. Can i just turn up, buy the item cash from Apple Store in Paris, with the 1TB upgrade and take it away there and then, or do i have to wait for 1-2 days for ordering?

Really look forward to you thoughts. Thanks Guys

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

The only thing I suggest you be wary off is if it is found in your personal baggage Customs would know you had not taken it with you. I purchased an early model 3GHz CPU Mac Pro from Apple Refurbished in California and had it shipped home to Australia. Receipt showed it was six months old by then and no GST was applied.

I did a power supply, and had difficulty getting it repaired under warranty which did not apply in Australia. Fortunately a good friend who works for an Apple Reseller had the same model, did the repairs and quoted his serial number on the warranty claim.

AppleCare was invalid as it has to be purchased in the country of use. Regarding power plugs, just whack a 240v plug in. All models cater for both power supplies, 110/220 volts.

Same probelms may apply if the SSD has problems and the manufacturer may want it sent back to the point of sale for a warranty claim. That certainly applied to a Kingston, G. Skill and an OWC SSD that were faulty.

Bottom line is you have to weigh up if the saving is worth any possible risks. Out of interest Microsoft seem to have a similar policy. When Windows 7 was released, I was in Malaysia and purchased Ultimate 64bit from a leading book store. When I had problems activating it, Microsoft Australia were not interested as it had not been sold in Australia.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
1) Any problems with customs if i just remove all the packaging, and chuck the Mac Pro in my suitcase?

Of course you know that what you're proposing to do is wrong (against the law). It doesn't really matter that it's a computer…you could be trying to illegally import any sort of item that is subject to VAT or any other UK import taxes.

If you are caught…you will have pay the appropriate penalties or fines. I don't know the exact UK laws that apply. But since this is a pretty high cost item (£3,939 GBP)…you may be crossing over from a "petty crime" to a more serious crime.

Food for thought.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
To start with, you are not going to walk into a French Apple Store, and get the Mac Pro you want w/ upgraded SSD. As far as I am aware, any upgrades are done at the factory, and then sent out too you. You can buy the Mac Pro yourself, buy a SSD from OWC ~ MacSales, and install it yourself.
And remember what Nick said. Apart from that, if you have a DSLR, I would have the Mac in my bag and tell them it was because of business that you need to tale it with you, because you needed to Edit photos ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To start with, you are not going to walk into a French Apple Store, and get the Mac Pro you want w/ upgraded SSD. As far as I am aware, any upgrades are done at the factory, and then sent out too you.

Right on the money Brent!:) Usually Apple stores only have stock configurations. And from what I see from the Apple website…the largest amount of internal storage in a stock config. Mac Pro is 256gig.

I think that I have from time to time heard that an individual Apple store might have a non-stock config computer at a store (could be a returned computer or a computer someone ordered & didn't pick up). But this would certainly be a rarity…and not something to expect.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the reply to my newbie post.

i do actually have a DSLR, and could say to customs i'm editing my photos on it...

To start with, you are not going to walk into a French Apple Store, and get the Mac Pro you want w/ upgraded SSD. As far as I am aware, any upgrades are done at the factory, and then sent out too you....

This trumps everything. If i cannot buy it in the store, there's no point going to Paris to purchase it and have it shipped out to me (which will be subject to Tax). Bummer. Are you sure this is the case? do apple store have Mac Pros with 1TB SSD in stock?

I;'ve heard of the third party OWC 1TB upgrade... but again, aren't they located in the States? (mor shipping costs and taxes).

This is starting to not sound like such a good idea...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi guys, thanks for the reply to my newbie post.

i do actually have a DSLR, and could say to customs i'm editing my photos on it...

They can't argue fits for Business, and they have to prove otherwise.

This trumps everything. If i cannot buy it in the store, there's no point going to Paris to purchase it and have it shipped out to me (which will be subject to Tax). Bummer. Are you sure this is the case? do apple store have Mac Pros with 1TB SSD in stock?

I'm sure. As Nick said above, the Stock MacPro comes 256GB SSD (just look on any Apple Website) and the upgrades are done via the Website too. Not everyone wants a 1TB SSD they make it a 26GB one, and you pay to upgrade. Its in their Business Model.

I;'ve heard of the third party OWC 1TB upgrade... but again, aren't they located in the States? (mor shipping costs and taxes).

This is starting to not sound like such a good idea...

BUT, if you get the Stock and buy from OWC, it could well be cheaper than asking Apple to add it for you. They are notorious for such expensive add-ons.

OP
A
Reaction score
T

BUT, if you get the Stock and buy from OWC, it could well be cheaper than asking Apple to add it for you. They are notorious for such expensive add-ons.

APPLE 1TB SSD (inclued as optional add--on = £640.

OWC 1TB SSD = 580 USD ... then plus Shipping, then plus Tax, then plus the no warranty, then plus the added worry if this 3rd party SSD will perform as well as the original Mac one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

OWC 1TB SSD = 580 USD ... then plus Shipping, then plus Tax, then plus the no warranty, then plus the added worry if this 3rd party SSD will perform as well as the original Mac one.

Looks like you got your answer. If you want the best of all worlds…do the right thing…and order the Mac Pro thru the UK Apple Store with the 1 terabyte of storage that you desire.:)

Or…purchase the stock Mac Pro with 256 gig of flash storage. Then upgrade the storage at a later time when the price of 1 terabyte flash storage comes down.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

OWC do give warranty. I have returned a RAM and SuperDrive enclosure in the past without a explanation, more than its broken and doesn't register in my Mac. Buying from OWC is like buying from Apple but cheaper.
2nd, OWC test ALL there add-on SSD's in the machine they say it is compatible with. If the 1TB SSD says it is for the 2014 MacPro, then you can be sure you are getting the real deal, with warranty. I'm not sure where you got your no warranty from.

EDIT: Just looked and they offer a 3 Year OWC Limited Warranty . . . With Apple you get 1 yr.

OP
A
Reaction score
OWC do give warranty. I have returned a RAM and SuperDrive enclosure in the past without a explanation, more than its broken and doesn't register in my Mac. Buying from OWC is like buying from Apple but cheaper.
2nd, OWC test ALL there add-on SSD's in the machine they say it is compatible with. If the 1TB SSD says it is for the 2014 MacPro, then you can be sure you are getting the real deal, with warranty. I'm not sure where you got your no warranty from.

EDIT: Just looked and they offer a 3 Year OWC Limited Warranty . . . With Apple you get 1 yr.

like i say - + tax, + shipping... Is it worth it?

What if i buy from OSD for $580. cheap deal you might say.

So i wait 14 days for delivery from US based OWC. I pay custom tax... and then go f through the hassle of installing it myself, And everything is fine...

But... what if it fails? Sure, OWC will accept returns, but then I have to PAY shipping, i have to pay tax, Wait another 14 days or so for replacement...

You didnt address these points, TattoodMac.

All in all, i think this discussion is concluded with me thinking: Just bite the bullet. Buy it native from the UK apple store, and not to cut corners, buying it out of warranty in another country. (and not to worry about dodging stern looking customs officials, smuggling it in my suitcase !)

£500 may hurt in the short run, but the peace of mind, having a rock solid fact computer with 1TB space will last me in good peace for many years...

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All in all, i think this discussion is concluded with me thinking: Just bite the bullet. Buy it native from the UK apple store, and not to cut corners, buying it out of warranty in another country. (and not to worry about dodging stern looking customs officials, smuggling it in my suitcase !)

Ding, ding, ding, ding…we have a winner!:) If purchasing the storage from OWC is not going to save you much money…buy the whole deal from Apple!:)

Now get out that credit card and DO IT!!!:)

Then go to bed…since it's like 4am in the UK!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oopss

Last edited:
C

chas_m

I can only speak from the experience of watching Customs people at work here in Canada, but you do NOT want to take the risk of trying to escape duty on a £3K+ computer, particularly by lying about it ... they will not be kind and the penalties are EXPENSIVE (or they simply impound the computer for a few weeks while you raise the money to pay the duty and penalties ...).

Not worth the risk, and by paying duty on it, there's no savings anyway.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@araine

I live in the UK like you. DON'T.

HMRC are on top of this especially from the so-close channel ports. Confiscation is mandatory and the fines are high, not to mention more serious possibilities.

And apart from all the other comments about repairs, warranty and so on; once you take into account your travelling expenses, the difference in price is not that big a deal.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
@araine

I live in the UK like you. DON'T.

HMRC are on top of this especially from the so-close channel ports. Confiscation is mandatory and the fines are high, not to mention more serious possibilities.

Ian

Ahh, thank you Ian. This comment has scared the **** outta me a bit - the fact that 'Customs are onto it'. I'm sure i'm easily not the first to try and smuggle a Mac.

I could try it if it were a laptop i was buying. (Just buy it in France, put some old photos/files on the pc, maybe put sume cosmetic mud on the outside, dirty itt up a bit, and put it in my carry-on)... but smuggling a whole computer? i'm sure HMRC would have a few questions.

and PIGOO3 - you were right. it was 4am and i am going to buy it..have to wait another month though to top up to £4k !

THanks for the input guys.

BTW - do you know how much a fine customs would heap on me if i got caught with a £4k computer and couldnt proove i didn't buy it abroad?

Has anyone got caught with this? intereseted to hear their story...

Last edited:

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I am not a lawyer, but I think you are covered as long as you are buying for personal use and pay local taxes: HMRC guidance on personal imports. This is why the Blue lane exists at airports and the like.

You would not be able to take your computer to a UK based Apple Store for warranty work, however, as each country is a separate legal entity and your warranty would be with Apple France.

OP
A
Reaction score
Okay.

As a UK buyer, i can still buy the item legally from France, and NOT pay Duty Free. Yaay! However, i will still have to pay and declare tax at customs, and the total comes to a whopping £4114 at the customs border. (instead of paying £3,999) at the UK mac store).

So in summary, if i pop over to France to buy the Mac, and declare it legally, i will end up paying £115 more in France than if i just pop down to Regent Street, London.

Better off stuffing it in my suitcase and NOT declaring it !!!

Here is from Dutycalculator.com

2dutycal.png

HS code: 8471.50.0150

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about Tax-Free shopping? i thought EU was tax exempt? (if i pop accross to Calais for wine shipping cheap, it's cheaper.

Is this not same for Mac Pros?

I'm not from the UK…so not an expert. But we certainly have many UK members…and these sort of discussions come up from time to time.:) As far as I know…computers are subject to at least VAT…if not more taxes/fees.

That's why many things related to computing (and other products) can cost more in the UK if purchased outside the UK. First because you have to pay international shipping…then pay VAT when it enters the UK.

Like you mentioned in a previous post. If it was this easy…EVERYBODY would be doing it!!!;)

- Nick

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
From the link I posted:

"You don’t pay duty or tax on goods you bring in from the European Union (EU) as long as you:
  • transport them yourself
  • will use them yourself or give them away as a gift
  • have paid duty and tax in the country where you bought them"

Items by post would not be covered. If you buy something without paying local taxes, you would not be covered. All countries have different tax regimes, so some have lower VAT (sales tax) but higher Income Tax, for example. Or fuel tax versus road charging, which is also relevant to us.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.