Backup Method

Reaction score
I'm totally torn and confused as I approach this topic.

I'm using an iMac with an external HD that I work from directly (Graphics, etc.).... Right now I have a second external HD hooked up that I'm using for Time-Machine to backup the first one... Pretty straight forward but I'm starting to feel uneasy about not having my backup up on the cloud somewhere.

From what I can gather, it's not possible to use something like Dropbox with an external HD so I was wondering what hardware might be needed to make this happen..... Is there some sort of external HD that would function like an internal drive so that I could sync it to one of the cloud services? Bottom line, I'd like my MAIN external HD synced for incremental backups.

Do I need a RAID? Solid-State? I'm lost!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
There are lots of companies that offer cloud storage. You do not indicate how much storage you will need. If you are set on a cloud option most of the companies offer software to automate the process.

I personally use a WD Cloud drive that is on site. It came with software that backs up what ever I want instantly and automatically. It is seamless and the rare times I had to find something I inadvertently deleted I just accessed the drive and retrieved it.

The only cloud storage I use is Google drive and I keep important files there. Google gives you 15GB free.

Lisa

C

chas_m

I'm using an iMac with an external HD that I work from directly (Graphics, etc.).... Right now I have a second external HD hooked up that I'm using for Time-Machine to backup the first one...

Nope, that doesn't sound right. As you've written this, it sounds like you have two external hard drive: Graphics and the Time Machine HD. Time Machine (the software) can only back up the boot drive of your computer (which you do not appear to have mentioned). So it is not, and cannot, backup your external Graphics drive.

A cloud backup service might be a good option for you, depending on the amount of material you need to back up. I use IDrive, which has been a good company to work with. They sent me a physical 1TB drive, I backed up my HD on to it, and sent it back to them. I now update the backup through the cloud, but it saved a lot of bandwidth and time to do the physical backup first.

Bottom line, I'd like my MAIN external HD synced for incremental backups.

You probably want to look at ChronoSync, that is what I use to back one external drive to another. You can configure it to do basically any kind of backup you want, from anywhere to anywhere, bi-directional or whatever, and monitor it remotely if you like. Carbon Copy Cloner can also do an external-to-external or whatever backup, but I use it for clones not incrementals. ChronoSync does both.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.