Word program isn't functioning properly, as of 1 hour ago.

Reaction score
Hi. A problem started today that I cannot solve. Every time I try to open Word in my Mac Pro running OS X 10.10.3, it begins to open EVERY Word document in my computer. Also, when it opens, the menu bar has only the Help feature, but it doesn't open anything at all. These problems happen whether I open Word from the icon on my dock, or if I open an already created document from Finder, or if I try to open Word from the launchpad. Can anyone help me with this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's an odd one. Assuming you're using Word 2011? First, try closing Word and restarting your Mac. Have you recently done anything, updated something, installed something, to have caused this to happen?

If the problem persists, you may have to reinstall MS Office. You can not just reinstall Word, you'll have to reinstall all Office apps at once. Let us know if you need to reinstall and we can help you with that.

OP
C
Reaction score
Word malfunction started today

thank you! It is Word 11, and I have converted over 200 recipes into my computer over this past week. I know that earlier today my fingers slipped on the keyboard while tagging a couple of my documents in Finder, and then the strange and currently uncontrollable problem with opening the program began. I did force quit my computer after using the force quit option for Word, but there hasn't been any change. I cannot afford to repurchase Microsoft Office - can it be done?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't need to re-purchase MS Office. Just make sure you have your product code that came in the envelope folder which had the disk. Or, if you downloaded MS Office from Microsoft, you were given a product code. Without that code, you can not activate MS Office.

Here are the instructions to completely uninstall MS Office. But before uninstalling and reinstalling make sure you backup all your documents and personal templates. If you were using Time Machine to make backups, you can always go back in time to before when the problem happened.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help. I've decided to re-do my recipes into Pages instead. All other programs are working well, and I bought my Office package online, but can't find the code I need.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that should work. Pages can read Word 2011 documents and convert them to Pages format. However, Pages can not read Word 2011 templates if you have any of those. Also make sure you update your Pages to 5.2.2 which is the latest version. Let us know if you need any more help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.